The TSTE rebuild topic (56k get cable)

GutlessSupreme

That is definitely our girl! :eek: I called them this morning and they are searching for it.

When I was in there last time I was thinking about just pulling the bung on the back of the plenum and running a hose from the upper plenum to the PCV. This way the oil does not pool in the "S" curve when it cools.

I will see what my cost is on them and if they can find them.

Thanks man! :cool:

*edit*...My dealer contact got back with me. He said the Chevrolet dealers all across town have them! :rolleyes: I guess I will pick up a few as a just in case type thing. Thanks again! :thumb:

Last time I went to the dealer to see if they had the PCV under plenum "S" hose they came out with some squirrely looking corregated hose that no way would work. I am going to try your P/N and see what they come up with. Last time I had the plenum off I used a heavy walled heat shrink tubing that worked AWESOME! Just like putting a re-cap on a tire! :lol: :cool:

Why not just drill and tap a hole on the side of the plenum, or use the plug on the back for the vacuum brakes line to use.....so much easier to get the plenum on and off without worrying about that hose under the plenum

Last time I went to the dealer to see if they had the PCV under plenum "S" hose they came out with some squirrely looking corregated hose that no way would work. I am going to try your P/N and see what they come up with. Last time I had the plenum off I used a heavy walled heat shrink tubing that worked AWESOME! Just like putting a re-cap on a tire! :lol: :cool:

Why not just drill and tap a hole on the side of the plenum, or use the plug on the back for the vacuum brakes line to use.....so much easier to get the plenum on and off without worrying about that hose under the plenum

Well, I know Gutless is putting in Vacume controlled brakes in, so thats not a good idea for him. And I dont know if Kenny has Vacume or not so....

Guest TurboSedan

i bought a PCV hose from Advance (in the HELP! section) for a couple bucks. it was exactly the same shape, length and ID as the original - perfect fit.

Well, I know Gutless is putting in Vacume controlled brakes in, so thats not a good idea for him. And I dont know if Kenny has Vacume or not so....

I am? Why wasn't I notified of this? :willynilly: :lol:

lol nah I'm keeping my PM3, using the reman. out of the TGP and relatively new-looking accumulator that was in the TSTE. It's Josh (TurboSedan) that's tearing out the PM3 in his TSTE.

I am? Why wasn't I notified of this? :willynilly: :lol:

lol nah I'm keeping my PM3, using the reman. out of the TGP and relatively new-looking accumulator that was in the TSTE. It's Josh (TurboSedan) that's tearing out the PM3 in his TSTE.

Well I knew it was someone LOL...

That accumulator was new in Nov 03, I think around 130k or so. Can't wait to see the finished product. :biggrin: My offer still stands, but don't let me touch anything you don't want dirty. :cool:

That accumulator was new in Nov 03, I think around 130k or so. Can't wait to see the finished product. :biggrin: My offer still stands, but don't let me touch anything you don't want dirty. :cool:

tell ya what, I"ll set up a restoration fund on paypal and you can help me that way :lol:

Motor shop called me this morning.. $500, and I haven't even given them the heads yet.

*sigh*

Anyone know how much it cost me if say, I just had them clean them and check for cracks/flatness? I'm not really afraid of doing the dis/reassembly myself, or replacing the valve seals. Just trying to save some moolah.

Guest TurboSedan

disassembling the valvetrain is really easy. i used my $20 Craftsman valve spring compressor. when i brought my TGP heads in i took them apart myself and put all of the pieces in labled bags (1E, 1I, 2E, 2I etc etc...not sure if you really need to but i did anyway). reassembly is just as easy but i'd definately get a valve job done along with getting the heads hot tanked, bead blasted and checked for flatness. i had mine resurfaced. cost me $191 total which i felt was definately worth it.

this project sure has come a LONG way from "can i just throw a new cam in this heap and drive it"

good work so far tony, it will surely pay off.

thankee :)

I picked up the block today... mom doesn't know yet. Hope she doesn't get her hands on my bank statement...

pics tomorrow?

w00t!

IMG_0350%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0351%20(Small).jpg

I am flat broke! :willynilly: :biggrin:

I also now need to replace my control arms because I bent them in the process of removing/installing the old/new bushings in. plah.

Are you replacing the lower engine mount? How about painting the brackets? I wish I had spent more time putting my engine together. It looked really good but I didn't use good paint on the mount brackets for the hoist and the AC compressor, flaking a little now.

Are you replacing the lower engine mount? How about painting the brackets? I wish I had spent more time putting my engine together. It looked really good but I didn't use good paint on the mount brackets for the hoist and the AC compressor, flaking a little now.

yep yep, page 1 third pic. Probably reusing the tranny mount, since a) it doesn't leak hydraulic fluid all over the place when it's bad and B) the getrag uses a different one, and I plan on dropping that in not too too far down the line.

Everything's getting repainted, but I hope to god it holds up. I'm not so much worried about flaking, moreso just the scratching/gouging. Still not sure what to do with my compressor :lol: I was just gonna degrease it and call it a day. It might need to be replaced anyway, Greg said the A/C never worked for him and it was never warm enough for me to want to try it.

I think most parts that were bare aluminum are just going to get clear coated. I sand blasted them already, and clear has shown me good, clean results before. Plenum will still stay polished though.

Hey if your only problem when this car is back together and ready to run you aren't doing too bad for your first teardown/rebuild. :cool:

How complete will the engine be when it goes back into the bay? Have you opened the a/c connection at all or is it still charged? The compressor is an easy change when its back in so might not want to replace it unless you need to. Make sure your dogbones are in good shape or you might ruin that lower mount. :wink: I think I may have broken mine. :evil:

I'm not sure how complete it's going to be. I guess I'll have to have the heads on, or else I won't have anyway to attach the mount/hoist brackets to drop it back in. I still need to find an engine stand to borrow. I most likely won't attached the intakes until it's already in place.

The A/C system is far past opened. Compressors off, condenser/accumulator's out, took some of the piping out to clean and paint them. I'm going to re-o-ring everything, as well as replace the accumulator with the Four Seasons one that has the low side port built in. I just need to make sure all the pipes and whatnot are free of debris before I reattach everything.

Dogbones are good, Greg had turby install poly bushings on the engine side, and the rubber on the other side looks good, so I should be all set there.

make sure you change the orings on the evap core, I think they are impossible to get to without removing the engine, or the PMIII. I couldnt get at mine, I don't think they are leaking, but anyway, would be nice for peace of mind.

Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

before:

IMG_9869%20(Small).jpg

IMG_9870%20(Small).jpg

Rust Encapsulator prep:

IMG_0531%20(Small).jpg

Primer going down:

IMG_0532%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0533%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0534%20(Small).jpg

Gunmetal:

IMG_0538%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0539%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0540%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0543%20(Small).jpg

----------------------------------------------------------

few coats of silver:

IMG_0507%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0508%20(Small).jpg

birthday present :cool: (stand)

IMG_0509%20(Small).jpg

DOHC windage tray fit (just a little bit of grinding, easy easy)

IMG_0513%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0527%20(Small).jpg

So... how much longer til it's back together?

Forever, pretty much.

still haven't had the heads rebuilt, and I plan on picking up some LS6 springs for them (looking at I think $350 for the heads right there alone)

still need to buy new control arms/cradle/34mm sway bar

still need some A/C parts

and of course need to finish painting.

but I just got slapped with a hearty $415 speeding ticket and I still need to get my Cutlass inspected at $47 bucks, not to mention a new windshield/registration/inspection for the STE.

It's gonna be a while still :(

did a little work on it today.. barely any, actually, but I feel mildly accomplished. got the windage tray bolted down and the oil pump screen installed into the pump, it should be at the right angle, far side of the screen is about 5 mm's from the bottom of the pan (used clay to check). hoping to get more substantial stuff done this week.