The TSTE rebuild topic (56k get cable)

GutlessSupreme

thanks guys :)

I plan on POR-15ing it, along with most of the rest of the inner sheet metal around the engine bay (particularly the rad. support). control arms as well, though I might see if I can find a driver's side one in better shape. it's not BAD, but rust did eat some small holes along the front side near the weld line. probably won't make a difference, I'll just leave it.

also - block & internals went to a shop today, finally. they should get back to me by the end of the week, right now I'm just having them spec everything out so I can order proper sized bearings/rings. then it's pretty much assembly from there. I think the only other things I need are a timing dampener, oil pickup, and new studs etc where needed. I'll send the heads in a little later.[br]Posted on: April 05, 2006, 12:13:35 AM_________________________________________________ouch...

well, shop's telling me I need new pistons...

said .30 over, possibly only .20, but I might as well just go with .30.

well, damn.

I don't know what to say to that, since I thought the most we could go was .060 over anyway. maybe I don't quite understand how that works.

I'm eyeing this kit from Northern Auto Parts.. they look like they have their act together. found them on ebay.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=1359

I'm gonna call and see if I can order it with out the cam, lifters and gaskets (since I already have all of those). that price seems pretty awesome as it is, imho.

edit: called Northern Auto, they told me about $274 and change for the full kit less cam/lifters/gaskets. I'm pretty happy with that.

I bought my master kit from Northern Auto parts, Crane 2020 cam, tappet lifters, gaskets, all the works but I didn't get pistons, just standard bearings all around. Make sure your pistons will be the right compression ratio cause you don't want to blow a hole in one of them.

Do it. Quality products. :cool:

Yea I'm definetly going to go with Northern. Just have to place my order :)

few new pics...

IMG_0237%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0244%20(Small).jpg

hehe

stuff's basically the same thing as POR-15 except a lot cheaper and a lot less prep work/additional preping chemicals are required. that's only 1 coat so far though, and I still need to do the bottom. Not sure if I'm going to top coat it.

thanks guys :)

just ordered my internals from Northern Auto...

.30 over rings/pistons

standard main bearings

standard rod bearings

cam bearings

frost plugs

fel pro head bolts

--------------------------

$320.38 shipped :)

I'm wicked happy with that price. should be about 4 business days.. I can have them at the machine shop by next week.[br]Posted on: April 24, 2006, 01:58:21 PM_________________________________________________Hey guys, any input on which oil pickup + screen to order? I bought my M95HV from summit and it didn't come with one. part numbers are great.

thanks.

you can probably just use the original as long as it's cleaned and installed properly. I wouldn't worry about that, but I will say that with my new pump came a new p/u and screen. where did you get yours?

I tossed the original alreaedy w/ the old pump/rings/etc. I've always read never to reuse the original. They're cheap enough.

I got that one from Summit.

OH MY GOD!!!

I got my internals today :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

IMG_0249%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0254%20(Small).jpg

sorry for extremely shit quality...

I accidently forgot to opt out on the timing set.. I think I'll probably just send it back (I already have one). I was really pleased with the order, but I finally cut the invoice out of the box and noticed something: they forgot to throw in the freeze plugs :bash: I'll cut them some slack though, I called them at like 5:30 est on a Monday and they still managed to get it out the same day. Guy I talked to on the phone said they only have 8 minutes left of shipping or something for that day, so they must've just banged it out real quick and left out the plugs. Hopefully won't be a huge deal, I'll give them a call on Monday to see what they say.

I am going to sound like an idiot because I did not pay attention to the pistons the last time I was in one. But are those pistons a lower compression than stock? I did not recall such a concave piston top.

Gotta love when hard work gets you go fast parts! :wink:

It appears that the bowl is deeper, but the edges also drop off much more gradually from the crown. On the stock pistons, it's a sharp edge and a steep drop to the bowl.

Did you get an info sheet with your rebuild kit stating how many cc's those pistons are dished Tony? If the dish is slightly more than stock, you're still probably going to end up with right around the same compression ratio since you're boring the block .030'' over.

no, I didn't get a build sheet. Now that you say that though you've got me interested.

I'm trying to find these things, but can anybody tell me the stock deck height and head volume?

no, I didn't get a build sheet. Now that you say that though you've got me interested.

I'm trying to find these things, but can anybody tell me the stock deck height and head volume?

By head volume do you mean combustion chamber volume? If so, thats around 26cc's Check out 60v6 site, Ben's got a lot of data on heads up.

yea the head combustion chamber + piston dish. those total should be 26cc's?

thanks![br]Posted on: April 30, 2006, 04:11:55 PM_________________________________________________nevermind.

http://60degreev6.com/discussion/kb.php?mode=article&k=111[br]Posted on: April 30, 2006, 04:13:10 PM_________________________________________________Gave Northern a call today and they said they'll ship out the expansion plugs today, no problem! probably because they're such a cheap item anyway lol. But yea, they were really good about it.[br]Posted on: May 01, 2006, 04:38:37 PM_________________________________________________

IMG_0280%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0297%20(Small).jpg

(Sorry Kenny, I never even got to taking them off the heads today :lol: the crossover I'm sending though is the onle with half a headshield left on it in the first manifold pic)

(Sorry Kenny, I never even got to taking them off the heads today :lol: the crossover I'm sending though is the one with half a headshield left on it in the first manifold pic)

Those pretty shiney ones will work too! :wink: :lol:

Looking good man. Imagine a set of polished ceramic coated headers in there!! :willynilly:

What'd you coat your manifolds with?

It's just some Duplicolor High Temp "with ceramic" spray paint. I dunno how well it'll hold up but I figured why not. it's supposed to last up to 1200* for short periods of time (maybe it was 1500, I don't remember). I don't really know how hot manifolds get, said on the can you could use it on exhaust parts (probably meant pipes but we'll see how it turns out).

• 3 weeks later...

Shop begins working on the short block tomorrow! :-D FedEx came with my main bolts today and I was at the shop 20 minutes later dropping all my shit off lol

Fedex also came with brand new control arm bushings, ball joints, oil pressure sensor and head coolant temp sensor, which by the way, looks way better than the old ones. they have a nice solid rubber boot that goes over the head of the sensor and protects where the wire joins, no where near as fragile looking as the old ones (personally I've broken wires off of two of those sensors between the STE and Cutlass).

So I've got new:

knock

crank position

head coolant temp

oil pressure

heated 3 wire O2

as far as sensors go.

I did goof on one thing I think.

When I ordered my new oil pump pickup, I had heard a few people talking about the '91+ being bigger so I ordered that one. ding ding ding, we have a loser. of course, the pipe doesn't come close to fitting in my Melling M95HV. So I think I need to order another pickup now... :-\

• 2 weeks later...

The correct PCV Valve hose from the dealership is still available, with 75 available in the chicago land area (why chicago, i dont know). But the part number I have, for the CORRECT hose is: 1011-8694 or take the dash out. It has it listed both ways on the box the tube came in. It also comes with new clamps. I paid 8 bucks for mine from my chevy dealer.

Last time I went to the dealer to see if they had the PCV under plenum "S" hose they came out with some squirrely looking corregated hose that no way would work. I am going to try your P/N and see what they come up with. Last time I had the plenum off I used a heavy walled heat shrink tubing that worked AWESOME! Just like putting a re-cap on a tire! :lol: :cool: