The TSTE rebuild topic (56k get cable)

GutlessSupreme

blocks apart! no new pics though.

new knock sensor should be here tomorrow.

in the morning i'm going to my step dad's work (they rebuild electric motors/generators) to get some stuff cleaned up. I'm going to stick the block in the big washing machine and clean some random brackets/pipes in the parts cleaner and with the die grinder (for any rust). I'm planning on getting the block/internals dropped off at the machine shop before i go to work at 4, but I'm not sure if I'll get that far tomorrow. I better push myself though or else it'll just sit on my garage floor not doing anything for a while again.

I decided to just have the shop put the bottom end back together. I was originally just going to bring it in to get cleaned up/manafluxed/flatness checked and have them check the pistons/rods and let me know what size bearings i needed to order. I'm just gonna let them reinstall everything too though. I'll do everything from the heads up.

Putting a bottom end together isnt hard, but I dont blame ya for letting them do it. I mean, might as well, since they have all the stuff and it wont take them long at all. Good luck with your rebuild, I always check this thread for your progress.

Nice to see it coming along. I had that windage tray in my old 3.1 MPFI when I built it. What year oil pump pickup tube are you using? I dunno if '90 has any issues, but I had a fitment problem with the '89 pan baffle, using a larger tube/screen from a '91 IIRC.

:thumbsup: H260

hey, if you need some help, i can try to lend you some :) its gotta be a long day of just working on the car, since its a ride, but it would be cool. maybe greg could swing by as well, me and him should race in the GTPs :)

looking good thus far

thanks dudes :) yea I figure I might as well just have the shop deal with it all.. I'll have way too much money invested to fuck it up doing it myself. I know reassembly isn't all that bad but things like proper antiseizing/lubing/torquing/aligning are such a pain in the ass.

I was actually going to ask about the pump pickup because I'm really not sure what to get. The pump came as-is from Summit without a pickup and I really haven't a clue which pickup to get...

hey, if you need some help, i can try to lend you some :) its gotta be a long day of just working on the car, since its a ride, but it would be cool. maybe greg could swing by as well, me and him should race in the GTPs :)

looking good thus far

yea I'll let ya know for sure :) now that the motor's apart, well once I have it in the shop anyway, I need to get to work on the front end. control arms and subframe are getting removed/degreased/derusted/POR-15'd. I need to figure out how to properly replace the tie rods (I still need to order boots and clamps), and I still need balljoints as well. and the 34mm sway bar!

And Greg's not allowed to see this car until I'm done with it. I want the effect of my beliefs in motor-cleanliness to hit him full-on :lol:

this weekend I need to get to work on priming/painting everything I stripped.

on that subject, what color should I paint the block? I was just going to do silver. I don't really want to do black.

I'll try to grab some pics tomorrow...

Wasn't nokicker using 1.6 ratio rocker arms in there?

Do you intend to do the same?

How will those arms do with the crane cam?

Love the windage tray idea (I may have to steel that).

Also , I didn't realize the size difference in the starters for a 3400 vs 3.1...Nice thought!

Pontiac Blue? Although its Ford, Ford Blue looks good too.

I kinda gave blue a thought.. but I don't think I'm gonna. I might just stick to silver.

Wasn't nokicker using 1.6 ratio rocker arms in there?

Do you intend to do the same?

How will those arms do with the crane cam?!

Greg had a set of 1.6 roller fulcrum rockers laying around, but not installed. He would've needed to notch the heads and get custom pushrods to use them.

I have a pair of stamped 1.6s laying around that I had in my TGP for the brief time I had it running; those will be going in this car. In combination with the cam, they're supposed to be great. very good for top end.

what is the windage tray ? what does that do, where does it go?

bolts onto the mains studs below the crank. it decreases turbulance/splash in the oil pan from the crank.

Energy Suspension poly bushings that I got a while ago

IMG_9781%20(Small).jpg

pistons & main caps

IMG_9794%20(Small).jpg

crank

IMG_9796%20(Small).jpg

CLEAN BLOCK!

IMG_9806%20(Small).jpg

IMG_9807%20(Small).jpg

obviously not as good as a hot tank, but the washer did damn good work. I'm probably going to end up having it hot tanked anyway though.. :?

Sand blasted/cleaned up parts

IMG_9810%20(Small).jpg

IMG_9811%20(Small).jpg

the discontinued section of heater-core pipe in the nude

IMG_9813%20(Small).jpg

didn't make it to the machine shop yet. But I'm happy that I finally got this far.

The timing cover is a bitch to get completely clean. There's so many little indentions. Ive got one at home thats like 75% clean and its taken me a long time to get it that clean.

The timing cover is a bitch to get completely clean. There's so many little indentions. Ive got one at home thats like 75% clean and its taken me a long time to get it that clean.

what about a dishwasher?

what about a dishwasher?

Havent tried that, but the timing cover I have at home had like half an inch of crap on it. Maybe I'll try that when I go home. Although Im not sure what I'll do with it afterward, lol

Davis, such as show off :lol: just kidding, I like very much to see work like that, inspiring and enjoyable to me 8) .

As for cleaning, better do some re-searches first :!: I cannot find the link I hit on once that covered it all but I do remember you DO NOT USE normal soaps especially highly caustic like dishwashing soap, or 409 and such, this will get into the pores and convert the aluminum with a reaction you don't want! And once in the pores, very hard to get out so the "reaction" will continue even after your engine is back together :shock: , and your paint is applied :( . There are special water based cleaners as one approach, less and less solvents though with the environmental issues these days, and more and more other approaches such as bio that actually eats oil for dinner breaking it down safely, to baking the oil out of the piece in a 400+ degree oven for a few hours, then the old tried and true "sand" blasting, but even that has so many approaches and opinions its too long to get into. But the latest and the one that makes the best sense is the use of baking soda. The concerns with other medias is how do you truly know you got out all the grains of sand or whatever nasty media from blasting, out of your engine pieces :shock:. Since baking soda is water soluble its a natural at getting the hell out of all the pores, and nooks and crannies you cannot see :!:

Davis is wicked :twisted: at doing a lot of good research looking for technical bulletins, and through company web sites, any business or organization or such web sites that have info based on years of professional experience, all this to get good solid information on what he is doing, before he does it :!: 8) Unlike its done too often, collected from a few message boards that can at times not have much of the full picture at hand. Even what I state here should be confirmed before proceeding though I am NOT ONE to state much of anything that has not been proven to me first either with common sense, or learned of/heard of/read of from others I know that are very good to excellent in their field, or learned repeatedly from others and is confirmed that way to be a given that many times are from emails or posts here (i.e. "replace your crank sensor now" :wink: ). I try to say only what I know, and ask what I don’t :) . But I mainly wanted to curb too many people from making assumptions and rushing to do their work that if not fully researched, can be a painful and expensive experience later.

Good luck and take it slow, remember you don't have to be a pro at the work, just a pro at researching it :lol:

Jeff M

Better not let me touch it til it's done, if you want it to stay clean. 8) I had 1.6 rockers, not the roller ones. I also had a set of roller ones that I got before I knew they wouldn't work. I'll look around the garage, cause if you don't have them they've got to be here somewhere. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Better not let me touch it til it's done, if you want it to stay clean. 8) I had 1.6 rockers, not the roller ones. I also had a set of roller ones that I got before I knew they wouldn't work. I'll look around the garage, cause if you don't have them they've got to be here somewhere. :lol:

:lol: lol I have the rollers but I have my own set of the stamped 1.6s still from the TGP. I should be ok.

I don't think I'm gonna make it to the Intense mod day on april fool's... :frown:[br]Posted on: March 22, 2006, 12:34:58 AM_________________________________________________buncha new pics!

IMG_9842%20(Small).jpg

painted stuff!

IMG_9896%20(Small).jpg

wooamg where'd it go!

IMG_9870%20(Small).jpg

random

IMG_9876%20(Small).jpg

worst actual unibody rust on the whole car (plenty of other parts are worse, like my fuel lines and full rear suspension)

IMG_9865%20(Small).jpg

my fuel lines...

IMG_9885%20(Small).jpg

that can't be safe, right?

IMG_9887%20(Small).jpg

Thats really what I need to do with my STE, take everything off and de-rustify it. Looking good man! Keep the pics coming and keep up the good work.

my work from today:

IMG_0016%20(Small).jpg

my stepdad wiring down the cradle so it doesn't fly around in the washer

IMG_0021%20(Small).jpg

the beast

IMG_0022%20(Small).jpg

my other favorite apparatus - the sand blaster

IMG_0028%20(Small).jpg

the shop - where I've been doing all my hardcore cleaning up.

IMG_0032%20(Small).jpg

the cradle fresh out of the washer - shitty pic, I know. It's hard to tell that it's really clean at this point because it still looks like shit. that'll change by about two hours later though.

IMG_0036%20(Small).jpg

no small 2" air grinder for that work. they let me use this old, big mother fuckin electric angle grinder with a 5 inch wire brush on it. fuckin thing had some torque, and weighed a good 15-20 pounds. my arms are still sore. it's really not as good as it looks in the pics, there are still a buttload of spots I couldn't reach/didn't have time for with the big grinder. I also got 1 control arm mostly sandblasted, but no pics. I have to head back at least once more to finish up. then it's POR-15 time.

and yes, if you're wondering, the cradle fit damn near perfect in the trunk of the Cutlass. with a little kick, anyway. getting it back out was interesting. (note: I don't have fold down rear seats)

NICE Cradle Big T

i wanna do that to mine eventually......

hell yea.

I certainly won't regret all this work, that's for sure. derusting is enormously satisfying to me. gonna have to wait a few months but I can't wait until I get to the rest of the car as well. fuel lines I'm gonna do while it's apart now, but next up will probably be rear suspension. it's like cancer city. I'm gonna try and hit the body mount for the driver's side trailing arm soon though, I don't want that to get any worse than it is.

Awesome job!

Man, that car will be ready for concours competition when you are done, well at least the front.

I'd love to do something like that to mine some day.....one more semester to go *crosses fingers*