Thank you GM engineering (warning to 60 Degree 3x00 owners)

digitaloutsider

MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE YOUR INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET BEFORE IT EVEN STARTS LEAKING. If it has already started leaking, there is a good chance that the oil passages in the engine have been gummed up by the white milky sludge. If this the case, your engine may suffer catastrophic failure. Today, as I was driving home, the Montana spun a bearing at 91,000 miles. This should NEVER happen to an engine with that low of milage. Again, if your Gen-III 60 Degree V6 hasn't had it's intake manifold gaskets changed, DO IT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

On a side note.. anyone wanna buy a fully loaded 1999 Pontiac Montana with a fucked engine?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• DaveFromColorado

• Prospeeder

• digitaloutsider

that totally sucks man!!

I guess that's why the shop I worked at, made it a standard procedure to do a kerosene flush with every LIM gasket we replaced.

how much ya askin' for the van?

--Dave.

I have no idea. It's only worth $6,300 running. I love how GM's keep their value! :roll:

I'm open to offers. It's otherwise a really nice van. Transmission is only 12k miles old.

yeah, anytime someone mentions oil discoloration due to mixing with coolant i try to presuade them not to drive the car.

Inevtably you get people saying "cant I just drive it a little, I need it cause blah blah" my reply is always "sure, but dont come crying to me when your entire engine is nothing more than a boat anchor"

Once you contaminate the oil you are asking for trouble plain and simple. The only time you can get away with one of these leaks at all is if all you are loosing is coolant and its not mixing(yet). That doesnt happen very often though and normally when you start to loose coolant it wont be long before the 2 mix.

That said I did manage to put 1100 miles on a 3100 with blown head gaskets. Though it was burning coolant and oil at such a high rate (about 1-2 quarts of oil a day an 1/2-1gallon of coolant) that it refused to die that is untill I killed it doing 90 on the highway for 45miles. The engine got so hot the sender for the temp gauge failed after sitting in the red for about 10mins stright :twisted:

Ouch!!! that really hurts. Sorry to hear about that. If you where closer Id take the motor and rebuild it for when I need a new one. But my gaskets have been leaking for a couple months now :lol: but no oil is mixing with coolant....

yea my moms JUST started to leak so we didnt drive it at all after that and it got fixed today! Yay, were gonna put cheap oil in it, run it, and change the oil, run it, then change the filter, and put good oil in

yeah, reasons like this among others is why GM's vehicles hold value worth shit. I have a '02 GP with the 3100 that I'm planning on changing the gaskets (extended warr just ran out @ 70k)

Now these bolts, were they for all 3x00 engines, or just the 3400s? Everyone I talked to just said to reuse the bolts and use threadlock on them. They're only 10ft/lb anyways.

89 inch lbs if IIRC...

I always reuse the old bolts.

--Dave.

Might be different for other engines, I dunno. The paper that came in the package with my GM lower intake gaskets said 10ft/lb.

My mom's 99 Montana is just starting to use coolant. @100k I'm keeping an eye on the oil though... She's going to be trading it in in a few months, I hope it holds untill then.

Humm... I could be wrong, altho 31 in/lbs isn't that big of a gap, and most "at home" people don't have an in/lb torque wrench available (hell, they're like $300 for a good one)

Either way, I still reuse the bolts. LOL

--Dave.

my friend had a 94 GP with the 3100. He had leaking gaskets and the car died before long. Would not run at all. My other friend bought it and took the heads off and had them redone. That was 2 years ago and it still runs rather well. A little rattle but it still runs like a champ.

Ya I guess GM says you HAVE to replace the LIM bolts or it will leak again, they are a hole 10$ for all the bolts, so its obviously not like a marketing sceem or expensive parts

Ya I guess GM says you HAVE to replace the LIM bolts or it will leak again, they are a hole 10$ for all the bolts, so its obviously not like a marketing sceem or expensive parts

Good to know! this isn't somethin' I'd heard before, but I'll remember it for the next ones I do.

--Dave.