Thank you GM engineering (warning to 60 Degree 3x00 owners)

digitaloutsider

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• DaveFromColorado

• Prospeeder

• digitaloutsider

we just picked up a 99 Alero GLE (without leather) with 94,3xx miles 1 owner car, with the 3400 V6 and auto trans, for only $3400 USD ($3925 CND)

Needs rear brakes, intake gaskets (minor external leak, not mixing with oil yet) and a wheel speed sensor - the paint is nearly flawless it's got a bit of a scuff on the front right fender - not a bad deal. I'll have pictures up on Tuesday ... I wouldn't normally post it in this thread - but since you mentioned your van (with a bad motor) just sold for $3500, thought I'd mention our awesome deal too!

--Dave.

• 7 years later...

I realize I'm resurrecting a dead thread here, but I feel this is important to note. When replacing a lower manifold gasket on either a 3100 or 3400 use both new bolts as well as thread tape. I made the mistake of using only thread locker on my 3100. A year later the diagonal bolts lost their torque and came loose again. Oil likes to creep into the threads and loosen it all up. Thread sealer prevents this. I'd recommend both tape and thread locker. Good Luck all.

also one thing i have noticed is that the gaskets fail sooner if instead of scrapping the debris off (use clean new razor blades and change often if they start to get nicks) they use a 3M cookie on a grinder...this destroyes the nice smooth surface that they gaskets are designed to have to maintain seal.

Not to mention all the abrasive dust that ends up inside the engine, wiping out the bearings and other machined surfaces such as between lifter bore and lifter. It is so fine, and there's so much of it, it is NOT POSSIBLE to keep it out of the engine; or to clean it up afterwards without complete disassembly.

GM had a service bulletin about those 3M abrasive discs years ago; short story is that they--and anything similar--are utterly forbidden.

Just to note, all that really is needed on the bolt threads there is PTFE sealant. It's essentially liquid teflon tape. It looks like Elmers white school glue.