Intrax spring installation **PICS**

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i got them from the 1st group buy here (for front springs only).

and nope, they are not in the car yet :( sorry[br]Posted on: March 03, 2006, 09:15:06 PM_________________________________________________well i tried to get the driver's side strut/knuckle assembly installed today but didn't get too far :mad:

when i installed the springs onto the strut/knuckle assemblies i accidentally put the passenger side upper spring plate on the driver's side strut/knuckle. sooo...i found out the hard way that the studs that protrude upward through the body of the car are spaced slightly different between the right & left side. doh!

so tomarrow i'm going to swap out the upper spring plates to the correct sides and try again. hopefully i'll have the front of the STE sitting alot lower tomarrow. i will try to get pics posted of everything installed.

btw, looks like i'm getting an early start on the 5-speed swap as well. the driver's side axle was trashed. thought i had a spare but it's non-ABS so it's not going to work. there is no way i'm buying another ABS auto axle so for now i'm putting the strut/knuckles back in with no axles. i pulled the axle apart so the inner end is still in the transmission (to keep fluid in for now), and the outer installed in the hub (so as not to damage the wheel bearing/hub assembly when i tow it to the car wash sans engine).

well i'm off to buy new 11.25" rotors and Raybestos PG Plus pads....[br]Posted on: March 28, 2006, 04:46:54 PM_________________________________________________got it all installed. everything went easy after i switched the top strut plate to the correct sides :biggrin:

ran into a few problems though. my 2-jaw puller bent while i was popping the passenger side tierod and subsequently mushroomed the end of the stud so i'm going to have to replace it. oh well, i was planning on doing that anyway soon. shitty part is that i can't get the nut back on it until i grind the end down a little. also came close to stripping both passenger side T60 caliper bolts. i got them out fine but when i reassembled everything i just threaded them in a little ways. i'm going to get replacements soon (and no, i won't be driving the car till everything is taken care of). passneger side axle was also trashed so i pulled it out. the new 11.25" rotors sure look nice though!

front end is MUCH lower than it was! although, not nearly as low as Ryan's TGP is. the car hasn't had a chance to settle yet so it will likely get lower after i start driving it. right now it's about the same height as my Cutlass. and holy SHIT, the front of the car is STIFF as hell. i hope it rides ok.

don't have time to get pics because i'm already late for work but i'll try to soon.

you may want to consider investing in a helmet...

you're head will definetely be hitting the sun roof. :lol:

It's really not that bad, good luck with the rest of the install.

Guest TurboSedan

you may want to consider investing in a helmet...

you're head will definetely be hitting the sun roof. :lol:

It's really not that bad, good luck with the rest of the install.

i wish my car had a sunroof :sad:

Guest TurboSedan

yeah no pics yet. i'm kind of embarrassed to post pics because the car is dirty as hell. it's been sitting in the same spot since last October :redface:

i did bust out the tape measure so i could compare it to my Cutlass (which has 1.5" drop Eibach springs). both cars have 225/60-16 tires. both cars measured exactly 27 & 3/8" from the ground to the lower edge of the fender lip (measured through the center of the wheel). once the Intrax springs settle a little i'm sure it will go down a little more.

i'll post before & after pics tomarrow, i promise![br]Posted on: March 31, 2006, 01:00:47 AM_________________________________________________before

myTurboSTE.jpg

DSC02405.JPG

after

DSC02507.JPG

new brakes:

DSC02508.JPG

DSC02509.JPG

Guest TurboSedan

yeah it still has the stock monoleaf. it's sitting higher than normal right now because the rear end has been raised off the ground and hasn't been allowed to settle because i am not able to drive the car yet.

i'm going to try to order FFP coilovers next week but it might be a little while before i get them installed - still need to order GR-2s and strut mounts too.

Everytime I see a Gen 1 W with the Intrax springs, I just want them more and more. Your knuckle swap looks very good, something else I'd like to do too.

Dunno if I've ever asked you this josh but how's the lowered cutty do in the snow? I really want to lower mine but I think I'll get stuck too damn much lol.

Guest TurboSedan

Dunno if I've ever asked you this josh but how's the lowered cutty do in the snow? I really want to lower mine but I think I'll get stuck too damn much lol.

i don't have any problems at all in the snow. i think it does great.

• 3 weeks later...

Since this topic was brought up again...

You said "holy SHIT, the front of the car is STIFF as hell. i hope it rides ok. "

I plan on doing this upgrade exactly, but reusing my front shocks from my FE1 suspension. They're still in really good shape, but is this a bad idea to have lowering springs with such a soft suspension? I just replaced rear shocks with soft ones...I think monroe sensatracs

• 5 weeks later...