Wierd Noise in Rear...help PLZ!

SigEpCutlass

Guys,

I have a wierd thunking/clunking noise that is coming from the rear of my car ('94 Cutty L82 incase you didn't know). The noise increases in speed/frequency when I accelerate. I'm wondering if this could be a siezed caliper? I've noticed a decrease in brake performance, & my rear brakes squeal sometimes now.

I drove to work without music this morning, that's why I noticed it. Not sure how long it may have been making this noise because I basically never drive my car without my stereo on. Any suggestions of what to look for when I get home today are appreciated. :D

It's not my strut mounts...i know what that sounds like. The noise happens as I accellerate and decelerate. sounds like something is rubbing or clunking as the wheels rotate in the rear. didn't get a chance to get under the cutty tonight b/c of thunderstorm outside. i'll check the monoleaf, but would that noise increase and decrease in speed as i accelerate/decelerate? It doesn't look like it would to me? :shrug:

how do you tell if you have a siezed caliper? is there a way i can tell without pulling both rear wheels and taking the caliper off?

Jack the car up and see if the wheel spins freely. If not...then yeah.

The easiest way to do it is with 2 people. Have someone sit inside and press the brake pedal with the back wheels off the ground. See if they work as they should. This is how I found my caliper (RR side) seized up a bunch of times. I used to check everytime the brakes would act funny.

Also, the noise you are talking about accelerating and decelerating...if it's the same noise my car makes it's like a creaking sound. On my car it's the struts that are dead.

Hope this helps some.

How about a dry bushing or something somewhere? One time I sprayed all of the rubber bushings with PB Blaster on my Lumina and Malibu when I heard a thunking sound and that always seemed to shut them up. I do it whenever they start making excessive noise (which on my Malibu driving it every day is once a year, on the Lumina it's more frequent because it's a POS).

I dunno if it's not raining or snowing here later I'll try to get a better look. What bushings are connected to the drivetrain enough to make noise only when the rear wheels are in motion?

After I get home tonight, I'll take the picture above and point them out to you. I don't have any type of photo art stuff on the computer here... and I'm sitting in my writing class right now :lol:

rearend1.jpg

The parts I put in yellow, try and spray either Lithium grease or PB Blaster in there. I usually spray both, and rock the car up and down. Do both sides and see what happens.

I'm starting to run out of ideas.

I'm gonna have to go out to the store today and get some I guess. I don't think that's the solution, but hey you never know. I wasn't about to go outside last night when we had a windchill of 8 degrees. I hate not having a garage! :x