Whats Wrong With Rear Disc Brakes On Early Models?

95oldsVan

Wow this is an old post, but great info. The upgrade looks good, but K, I think I would rather weld in the 94+ cable bracket, keep the 90-93 ratchet pedal, and use 94+ rear cables like in the TGP article, is it easier to just hook up the right side caliper or something? Have you done it both ways or just the one?

I am kinda interested in how good of a fit it would be if I used the 94+ brackets and cables... Parts should be cheap even if I just buy them new...

Well it's been 6 months since the rear brake upgrade. All I can say is, it is so incredibly WORTH it!! Car's been to Hell Michigan and back with the trailer on it, and serves as daily driver. Car still stops on a dime with minimal fade. My brother drove a customer's 92-ish Lumina 3.1 at his work that still had the old rear discs on the back, HUGE difference. Which leads to what I hope will be my last question on this topic. My brother saw that this lumina at his work had 14" steel wheels on it. I was wondering if those wheels would fit over my 94+ upgraded rear brakes. Anyone know?

I think so. I had 15 inch steel rims on my car for a time and there was good clearance, but don't quote me on it. Never did put 14s on though.

I do not think the 14"s will fit.... and CHECK if your spare still fits. some spare tires will not fit over the 94+ rear brakes. if you need a new one, get one that is a 16" rim.

I have not tried the bracket weld-on, as i am too cheap to get it welded, but I want to, especially on the car that will have a manual tranny! I also wonder if the rachet mechanism will work with the 94+ rear cables, as both share a common 'splice' point. Basically the front cable from the pedal to the splic appears to be the same anyhow.

all i have to sya is i have gone through 3 sets of front pads and rotors becaus of the back braks being inoperative, changed the calipers in the rear twice so far, ugh. the sliders stick really bad as does the springs for the e-brake release.