Why do all of my cars have idling issues? *update*

3pt1lumina

Okay this doesn't pertain to a W-body directly, but it can affect one:

My 01 Malibu (58k) has the 3100SFI in it. Lately, I'll be driving it for a good long time (like over an hour, maybe more) so it's up to operating temperature. It'll be in drive with NO compressor on (no a/c or defroster/defogger) with the fan off and the car will start idling at 1300rpms in drive and 2k in park. I'll shut the car off, start it...sometimes it will stop it from doing this, sometimes it doesn't.

What gives? It happened like 2 weeks ago, didn't think anything of it, now it's happening once a day. Car has a new fuel filter and has been on a diet of fuel injector cleaner every 3k.

Has the Malibu had the intake gasket replaced yet?

How would that have anything to do with the idle rpm? I'm not getting that...maybe if it were the temp the car was running...but... :shrug:

Have you tried doing and idle relearn?

LIM's were done at 27k in May of '04. Car now has 58k on it and I constantly keep an eye on them but they aren't leaking. I can try an idle relearn but I don't think that will do anything on account of the battery hasn't been disconnected.

I think I am going to pull the IAC out and clean the pintle...only idea I have at this point.

LIM's were done at 27k in May of '04. Car now has 58k on it and I constantly keep an eye on them but they aren't leaking. I can try an idle relearn but I don't think that will do anything on account of the battery hasn't been disconnected.

I think I am going to pull the IAC out and clean the pintle...only idea I have at this point.

:withstupid:

Duh...then disconnect the battery ;)

Has the Malibu had the intake gasket replaced yet?

How would that have anything to do with the idle rpm? I'm not getting that...maybe if it were the temp the car was running...but... :shrug:

Have you tried doing and idle relearn?

:shrugs: Just a thought. :lol:

Try cleaning out the throttle body with some aerosol TB cleaner. Be sure you have the engine running, and your hand on the throttle linkage to prevent it from stalling...

Cleaning my IAC never fixed it. Had to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Yeah same with my Lumina... I had to get a new one. Well it's been like 2 days and the car's been fine... so I'm not going to do anything at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my update:

I replaced the IAC and that didn't solve anything. I left the new one in there though because the original was FULL of carbon. I then replaced the TPS and the car runs happily again.

Now I need to replace my stupid LIM's again. They only lasted 32k but so be it, here comes more money :roll:

Anyways, that's my story. Thought I'd share.

Here's my update:

I replaced the IAC and that didn't solve anything. I left the new one in there though because the original was FULL of carbon. I then replaced the TPS and the car runs happily again.

Now I need to replace my stupid LIM's again. They only lasted 32k but so be it, here comes more money :roll:

Anyways, that's my story. Thought I'd share.

Cleaning that top part of the throttle body helped my car a whole lot.

I had a bad idle problem a month ago. Same symptoms, except mine would climb to 3k in park or neutral. Turns out it was a little rubber grommet on the PCV harness. Its the one you can't really see, its on the neck of the plenum where the TB mounts underneath the throttle calbe bracket. It was completely deteriorated and was causing a massive vaccuum leak. I went to the junkyard and grabbed a new one, put it on, did the idle relarn and the car's idle came back to "normal" after some driving.

• 4 weeks later...
I had a bad idle problem a month ago. Same symptoms, except mine would climb to 3k in park or neutral. Turns out it was a little rubber grommet on the PCV harness. Its the one you can't really see, its on the neck of the plenum where the TB mounts underneath the throttle calbe bracket. It was completely deteriorated and was causing a massive vaccuum leak. I went to the junkyard and grabbed a new one, put it on, did the idle relarn and the car's idle came back to "normal" after some driving.

I had the same problem with my 3100 (wasn't quite as bad a leak, but still made it go up several hundred RPM). Did your SES light come on? Mine did sometimes due to the leak. Anyway I plugged the leak then later got a new vac hose (cause it busted too) and that sealed it for good.

SigEpCutlass, what is the process on the idle relearn?

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31176 Very self explanatory.

C-Bad... My car never did get a SES but just ran funny. Come to find out my car's LIM's were not leaking... it was the waterpump... So the new TPS was my idle issue...and my coolant loss was the waterpump spraying antifreeze all over the place :roll: