CTSY fuse blowing, WHY?

White93z34

alright today i arived at my destination, and went to hit my power lock button, but nothing hapiened, i also noticed my dome light and map lights were out, i pulled out the 15amp CTSY fuse and it was blown, well lets try another, blew immediately, and same with the second, so i let it go and later on i tried, a 20amp and everything worked fine again, however i don't like the idea of running a larger fuse, as that can make a electrical problem worse. i then put another 15 in and it worked for about a minute before blowing again. what gives here? i'm half tempted to say my power lock wires may be getting wore down in the door, but i really have no idea. any sugestions on placed to check for shorts.

also i have NO alarm, no remote start, no nothing that would be a variable in this, my dash harnas is 100% unmolested.

If nothing has been changed, I'm gonna say one of the wires is shorting out.

Also, this was happening to my friend and it turned out his door lock actuators were worn and required too much to pop them up and down....so he replaced the mand it was all good.

However, if yours are just popping randomly (the fuses) then I'm guessing 95% a wire is shorting out.

Is the cigarette lighter on that circuit? I know in my car with the GP console with the vertically mounted lighter sometimes a coin will fall into the lighter socket and blow the fuse.

Is the cigarette lighter on that circuit? I know in my car with the GP console with the vertically mounted lighter sometimes a coin will fall into the lighter socket and blow the fuse.

good thinking, i never really thought to check that, i know i had some coins near the lighter.

haha my mom used to do that ALL the time with her old 92 Grand Am, she would let coins fall in the cig lighter and it would blow some fuse and the door locks, lights, and all the accesories basicly would be out

well thats what it was, a dime had fallen into the lighter, removed the dime, replaced teh fuse, problem solved. thanks! i kinda feel dumb not checking that in the first place.

Me enither...I'd have my door panels pulled off looks for fraying insulation :lol:

haha i was going to do the same thing, i'm just glad i asked here first!

well thats what it was, a dime had fallen into the lighter, removed the dime, replaced teh fuse, problem solved. thanks! i kinda feel dumb not checking that in the first place.

:werd: That's happened to me many a time with the old GP console. :lol:

Me enither...I'd have my door panels pulled off looks for fraying insulation :lol:

gah....thats what im gonna have do to...ive been without lights/doorlocks, etc for over a year now :roll: