11.25 brake upgrade

dohc v6

MORE INFO! please. what are you putting these on?

Front brakes?

They use the same bracket, the strut has a different length mounting plate.

Same caliper bracket

The front calipers, front pads and wheel bearings are the same on the front irregardless of rotor size.

or

rear brakes?

http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/brakes-montereardisc.html

Better braking ability! a larger brake rotor will have a larger surface area of total contact(around the circumference) as well as less wheel torque to overcome(ie the further out it is, the easier it is to grip).

thus:

from http://www.cobbtuning.com/impreza/brakes2.html

"Larger brake rotors allow for shorter stopping distances, and more consistency and control of braking force. All results in a better performing brake system for improved safety and performance."

But the most significant brake upgrade you can do is to the rear, if you have not done so. READ THIS!

http://www.tpsgarage.com/TGP/brakes/rear_brake_upgrade.htm

I have done it to two cars, and they work great!

Thought I would start a bit of a thread. Big brakes are cool to have but they actually steal horsepower.Why? Big brakes translate to better track times but not really pertinate to street.Why? You may save weight with lighter rotors and such, but are they really that much better than O.E.M ? And we know the O.E.M.'s suck. Your theories, hypothesis ( I know big word) are appreciated. Let'r rip argue on. By the way the answer is one word. Thanks for your time. Mike

Thought I would start a bit of a thread. Big brakes are cool to have but they actually steal horsepower.Why? Big brakes translate to better track times but not really pertinate to street.Why? You may save weight with lighter rotors and such, but are they really that much better than O.E.M ? And we know the O.E.M.'s suck. Your theories, hypothesis ( I know big word) are appreciated. Let'r rip argue on. By the way the answer is one word. Thanks for your time. Mike

What?

The up grade for both the front and rear are simply upgrading better OEM brakes for better/safer stopping.

I find the rear upgrade far more advantages that the front.

It is a much more reliable caliper, with a much better parking brake and with far less drag on the rotor.

I would only do the front if I had to replace the entire strut, and I got a good deal on a good matched j/y set.

umm Bigger brakes dont decrease horsepower im pretty sure, its what, like, barley an inch bigger than stock, its not gonna kill any horses by the engine having to crank more wieght, most are lighter than stock anyway

"steal horsepower?"

they are bigger and heavier, thus are more wieght that must be overcome to move..... (barely significant, unless you're drag racing or something...)

"Big brakes translate to better track times but not really pertinate to street."

a track vehicle has to speed up and slow down alot, it probably has to do with bigger brakes grip more and are less likely to suffer brake fade. And a street vehicle isn't usually driven that hard by comparison.

"You may save weight with lighter rotors and such, but are they really that much better than O.E.M?"

Some people like slotted rotor. It can make a difference. I just use regular rotors and good pads. I talked with someone and he had slotted rotors but found the severe duty pads(which must be warm to work) didn't work well because they were being overcooled.

"And we know the O.E.M.'s suck." It depends which O.E.M.s you are talking about, as I addressed already. certainly the 93- rears are far worse than the 94+(excluding 94 lumina)

I love this link! how to:

http://www.tpsgarage.com/TGP/brakes/rear_brake_upgrade.htm

The lighter weight does not displace the increase in diameter(key word).I did not say kill any H.P. I said steal totaly different terminology.Slow down a lot quicker in track conditions(Exellent). Heat is bad slotted rotors shed heat quicker.Prospeeder 0 Crazy K 2. Posted it as new topic guys join me there.No doubt I will take a lot of abuse but will see what happens. Thanks

who cares its like 5 hp if it does anything. you dont have a f1 car so stop arguing. now i am interested in rsm's 13 front brake conversion. all it looks like is a bracket for the larger rotor to fit and a new caliper. anybody want to look it this. the 11.25 sucks ass if you ask me. new cars have 12-13 stock. i say we look for a conversion. i can get the plates made for the larger calipers if some can find them. i e-mail pbr already.

• 3 weeks later...
i do not think the rear brakes rob any power but bigger front brakes would as they would be more rotating mass.

Well....... if the rear brakes are dragging with the crappy old caliper desing, they would be creating friction which robs power..

The increase in rotating mass is not very significant such as to rob power in a significantly noticable way.

I did some calculations on the increase of stopping power and came up with the figure of the front brake's increase in rotor size is about 7%. And reflect a decrease in stopping distance of probably about 5% if the car is doing 75% of it's brakeing at the front......

An upgrade of the rear brakes would be an increase of 5%.

An upgrade of both would give a 7% decrease in stopping distance, assuming perfectly working rear calipers in the original setup. (which they are far from)

whether rear of front, the rotating mass is an energy demanding phenomena. It would not matter if the larger rotating mass was front or rear rotors.

I agree but I find that the rotors are virtually insignificant... Try using the lightest rims you can if you are worried about this excess rotating mass.

I don't know what the difference in wieght would be, but unless perhaps you are drag racing, it shouldn't have that mush of an effect. Maybe 5-10 lbs and the front and about 2-5 lbs at the rear????????