mindgame

tgp trannys just about as bad as the 4L60Es? ive been planning on doing a th350 swap with a gearvendors so i dont lose the over drive. what strong(er) trannys are avail for the tgps?

4L60e's are bulletproof compared to 440t4's. The TGP trans isn't designed for anywhere near the power that TGP's put out stock, once you start doing mods they are even worse. There also aren't any stronger trannys available without doing major work to convert it to electronic, or without doing a 5 speed swap.

As long as these trans arnt beat on they last a long time, it the braking system, im scard to death to touch mine, dealers do it for me

Obviously if you drive the car like a granny the trans will last a while because there is no stress being put on it at all. If you actually drive the car like it should be driven and actually see boost on a regular basis, then the trans will not like it.

There is also nothing really different or more complicated on the TGP brake system than any other one. All of the calipers, rotors, pads, & lines are the same as any other system, the only thing different is the master cylinder. Replacing the accumulator is as easy as unscrewing a lightbulb so I know it can't be that you're talking about....I really don't see whats so bad about it.

Shawn

4L60e's are bulletproof compared to 440t4's. The TGP trans isn't designed for anywhere near the power that TGP's put out stock, once you start doing mods they are even worse. There also aren't any stronger trannys available without doing major work to convert it to electronic, or without doing a 5 speed swap.

ill find out how long the 4l60 will hold up to heads/cam with a shot of juice next spring :D

eh, just the fact its soo touchy, i mean flushes and stuff id let others do, but the accumulator i could probably do, sounds easy enough, the braking system just sorta scares me, mostly out of how much they are!

quote; you have to keep it in D,2,or 1. 4t60 hd's are way better than 4t60 e's. sorry :D.

Do you guys even know who Tookykat and Jeff m are? obviously you havent been keeping up on your reading.

ill find out how long the 4l60 will hold up to heads/cam with a shot of juice next spring :D

you dont have the original tranny?

cause if it is a TGP tranny it will take all you put at it and bam through the gears. The LG5 tranny can take about 450 ft/lbs shifted manually(all day) and about 300 HP in OD (peak HP, not all day)(not without valence)

BTW, if you got it running good, you will not need the cam to have a shitload of fun. you will need the happy gas to calm you down after you get the bill for the head work.

cause if it is a TGP tranny it will take all you put at it and bam through the gears. The LG5 tranny can take about 450 ft/lbs shifted manually(all day) and about 300 HP in OD (peak HP, not all day)(not without valence)

BTW, if you got it running good, you will not need the cam to have a shitload of fun. you will need the happy gas to calm you down after you get the bill for the head work.

He is talking about his f-body, hence why he said 4L60. The "L" meaning longitudinal (sp?), whereas a FWD would have a "T" in that place meaning "transverse." And if it was his TGP the trans wouldn't take it. I said the same thing about TGP trannies about 2 years ago when at that point I had never killed one, a few trannies later and I will tell you with much more mods then just a chip the trannies do not like it at all. You should know that they aren't very strong since you yourself has gone through at least two according to your cardomain page, and as much as you want to believe it, its not because your valence was gone, that difference in airflow to your trans cooler doesn't make that much difference. And I would like to know where you got the idea that a TGP tranny can take 450ft.lbs....you've seriously got to be kidding. IIRC GM rated it at something like 230ft.lbs. The 4T65E-HD, which is a MUCH stronger tranny (the one they put in L67 cars) is only rated to handle 280ft.lbs. 450ft.lbs. would rip a 4t60-hd to shreds in a hurry.

And since he is talking about his f-body the cam/heads/nitrous are very common mods and won't be nearly as expensive as what it would cost to do it to his TGP.

Shawn

Why would manually shifting the trans have any effect on how much power it can hold. I'd also like to know where you got the 450 ftlbs from as there is no LG5(that I know) with with that kind of power with a 4T60HD behind it. The only person I know that is capable of putting out that kind of power is Curtis(turboz24), but he's running a getrag 282. :)

Why would manually shifting the trans have any effect on how much power it can hold. I'd also like to know where you got the 450 ftlbs from as there is no LG5(that I know) with with that kind of power with a 4T60HD behind it. The only person I know that is capable of putting out that kind of power is Curtis(turboz24), but he's running a getrag 282. :)

I'm wondering the same thing. Manually shifting has nothing to do with anything other than when it shifts. The only time it might help handle any more power is in first gear when manually shifting it also applies the band.

Shawn

the idle is slowly starting to get better and better, but the boost is still acting up, it wont even hit boost most of the time until ive been driving for about 15-20 min.. i finally have time to check a few things out tomorrow so im going to do that when i wake up.. but i did get a mustang gt kill :D the slow early 4.6 tho lol. and how do you contact jeff m? ive tried email a few times with no luck.

I am still chasing down boost leaks after 5 years. By the time you get them all fixed they get brittle again and snap. That is the reality of it.

I replaced one and fixed three. That was yesterday. Tomorrow they will probably leak again although I did replace the rubber couplings everywhere with vacu-tite brand vac fittings.