Is the suspension usually loud on 94 GP's?

Navybass

I was driving around today and when I would hit a speed bump, I was getting a strange sound from the front end of the car. It really can't describe what it sounded like. Maybe like cardboard. I noticed it made this sound no matter how slow I would hit the speed bumps. As far as I know, it has the stock suspension on it. It does have the stock wheels and GM recommended tire size on it.

I wish I could describe the sound better. It won't make noise unless I hit a good size bump that makes the shocks and springs compress alot. Small bumps won't make it make noise.

Roffle..

My 94 is doing it, bit another thing to check into is perhaps the strut plate out front is broken (Common on many Gen. 1s..) Happened to my Lumina.. Twice.. In a week..

Is it cold there? All of my W cars turn into lumber wagons once it drops below around 30F. I've just accepted it as normal.

Yes, it's cold up here.

I thought a 94 was a generation II w-body.

It doesn't do it all the time. It will take small bumps fine. It only does it with big bumps like speed bumps.

Roffle..

My 94 is doing it, bit another thing to check into is perhaps the strut plate out front is broken (Common on many Gen. 1s..) Happened to my Lumina.. Twice.. In a week..

The strut plate as in the thing under the hood over the strut tower? I've never heard of/seen those break.. ever. Not saying it can't happen, but I'm pretty sure it's not common either.

Here's the breakdowns of the Generations: http://www.w-body.com/w-body.html

You'll need to remove the complete strut assembly to get the upper plate out. I'd maybe try replacing the cartridges and rubber mounts first before digging in that deep. Replacing the front cartridges on the 1G W's is a hella easy job (but you'll have to rent a special tool kit to get them out...)

maybe the fluid inside the strut is just old and starting to freeze like maybe some water got in there somehow? i dont know. im just stabbing. id start with the strut cartridges:easy and cheap. prob needs them neway.

Guest TurboSedan
Roffle..

i have never heard of anything like that.

The plate he is talking about, the upper mount plate?, is broken on mine. The strut shaft (with nut tightened down on it) just floats.

I remove the strut cover plate (the one that covers the rubber cushion and big nut).....and the shaft and nut are free floating, not bolted down tight.

So when driving and I hit a big bump, the nut and shaft smack the underside of the strut cover plate. Temporarily (maybe permanant), I sat on the car, shoved the shaft/nut down as far as possible, put a big washer over the nut, a thick piece of rubber, and a piece of black foam rubber over that. Then bolted the strut cover plate back down. It took up the slack and no more banging. Had it this way for 3 or 4 months now.