Bringing Down The Rear

bluegp

Like others I've noticed, my Impala has a bit of a rake - the back sits noticeably higher than the front. I'd prefer if it sat level. I may be getting new struts (maybe KYB's), so that would be the time to get springs if need be. Lowering the whole thing would be nice, but I'm on a little bit of a budget and I've heard about mixed results when combining cheaper struts (like KYB's) with lowering springs or when using lowering springs in general (pogo effect, front axle vibrations, decreased strut life, etc.) Is there any other W-Body that would be a good source for a little shorter rear spring that wouldn't soften up the ride? I like nice tight, planted to the ground handling (yes, I know, it's just an Impala).

Would it be wise to get a pair of used springs? How quickly do springs wear out? Other than the car not sitting at the correct height, how do you tell if they are worn out?

I see that the SLP springs are pretty cheap (currently $99.95/all 4) - I'd maybe go with those since they only slightly lower the car, but I'm unsure if any of the mentioned problems would occur.

Any ideas, experiences?

I really can't say much, since I'm not familiar with the second gens. But where did you hear it isn't good to take cheaper struts and combine them with lowering springs?

I really can't say much, since I'm not familiar with the second gens. But where did you hear it isn't good to take cheaper struts and combine them with lowering springs?

I read a lot of different posts about the problems on ClubGP and the Impala/Monte boards. It seems most of the problems come with lowering these cars 2" or more, which is not what I want to do anyway. Vibration is one of the problems. A few people have even raised their engine from the subframe with shims to eliminate the vibrations (restoring the axle shaft angles). I guess the "pogo" effect comes from the top retainer of the strut not being tight against the mount when lowering springs are installed. There's a small amount of spring movement before the strut moves. What I've heard about the cheaper struts (stock, KYB, Monroe) is that they may wear out prematurely when combined with lowering springs since the lowering springs are stiffer. A lot of people say better results are had with the Koni/GMPP struts or the whole GMPP package, but those are too expensive for me.