Stuck E-Brake Front Cable - 1st Gen Car

Kaline

I've run into an interesting problem on my '90 Cutlass. 2 months ago, I totally replaced the brake corners (Autozone rebuilt calipers, new rotors & pads) on all 4 wheels. Since then the car has stopped fine. I occasionally use the e-brake to keep the sliders working and to make sure the e-brake works OK.

Yesterday morning, I parked it in my driveway with the e-brake on. When I tried to leave later that afternoon, the e-brake did not want to release. Both rear calipers are ON and trying to slow the car. I wound up parking it in the street in front of my house and working on it this past evening. The pedal mechanism seems to be working OK, other than it does not spring back to the at-rest position. I disconnected the cable at the e-brake pedal to find that it will not retract, which is why the e-brake is stuck on. Basically, it appears my front cable has seized. I have pulled on the cable fron under the car with no results. I have pryed the e-brake lever on the caliper but have not been able to get enough force release the tension on the cable. For the meantime, I sprayed all connections with Tri-Flow to see if the cable will release.

I'm going to work on it more this week (thank goodness I have more than one car). Has anyone else had this before? How did you get it free?

Update - It is the front parking brake cable which is stuck. I disassembled it at the adjustor and I'm back on the road. Guess I'll be replacing the front cable when the weather warms up! :mrgreen:

Crazy K - thanks for the link. It is the first one I have seen which goes thru what modifications need to be made to get the parking brake to work!