wierd stuttering......?

88Regal Limited

Ok, thsi has been happening recently. Every day to go to school I let the regal (1988 limited, 2.8 auto) warm up for 5 minutes. Then I put it into R, and it has a tendency to stall, so I gave it gas and it clears up. So I pull out on to the main highway (speed limit 45) and I start to accelerate. There is a speedlimit sign about 1/8th mile uphill. I get on it and through the middle of 1st it sputters a bit (a lot), clunks into 2nd (like always) and will studder through 2nd till the speed limit sign where I am (hopefully) going 35-39. :willynilly:

Now what is wierd is that it just snowed BIG TIme. I let it warm up like always and it hit 43mph by the sign. WTF?!? :?

usualy in the summer it will hit 47-52 bepending on if I'm in a hurry or not. So what gives? I know I need an 02 sensor and a tune up, but that wouldent cause it to be THAT bad, would it?

PS: fine when warm....... :motz2:

PS: fine when warm....... :motz2:

That sorta says 02 sensor, but I'm far from an expert. Why don't you change it (or maybe even switch to a 4 wire) and see if that helps you. In Texas I really don't see your kinda cold.

I want to pinpoint the problem before I just start throwing money at it.

If I could just have a V8 that isn't computer controlled it would be smooth sailing....... :D

i'll have to get over there and test drive it for myself sometime soon, but i'm trying to think of how old the plugs/wires are in your car, probably not too new (at least i don't know them to have been replaced in the past 2 years). and last i checked the codes it did have a 13 stored in it, so a new O2 woulden't hurt it at all, as well as a new fuel filter, i can justify throwing money at those problems, since they are general matnaince that needs done anyhow, but thats just me.

only happenes in the mornings when it's really cold. Maby i'm overrating the 'ol 2.8! :lol:

BTW the old mechanic supposedly gave it a tuneup. This is the guy that we payed for wipers and he forgot to put them on. :shock: :roll:

it almost sounds like the catalytic converter is clogged.

When the motor is cold on my sister's 77 Monte, it does the same thing. Sputters like crazy until its warm. Pulled the catalytic off and it solved the problem.

I'd check the usual, plugs/wires, fuel filter, even PCV.

the cat sure as shit better not be cloged i put a brand new one on myself last year.

the plugs and wires... i really don't know how the hell old they are, but i haven't known them to have been replaced in about the 2 years i've been around the car.

the IAC is located rignt on the back of the TB, sometime we'll have to clean it out.