Reviving the TSTE

GutlessSupreme

As in just the opposite of the main rear seal?

yup pretty much! but it goes in the timing cover not the block like the rear main seal does.

OH right.. I totally missed that when tearing down the TGP motor. I never actually "properly" removed the timing cover though. In fact the crank pulley and a portion of the timing cover were still attached when I threw the crank out :oops:

So I assume naturally it'd be a good idea to change that while I'm in there.

Guest TurboSedan

yeah mine came in the box with my Fel-Pro timing cover gasket. it's really easy to replace (much like an axle seal). i pulled mine out before i had the timing cover bead blasted, then put the new one in after i got it back.

I know it was cheap, I just really can't see doing all that work and reinstalling a stock cam. As much as a turbo cam wakes these up....I just really can't see it.

Good luck with the project though, it should be back up and in good running condition shortly!

Shawn

I know it was cheap, I just really can't see doing all that work and reinstalling a stock cam. As much as a turbo cam wakes these up....I just really can't see it.

Good luck with the project though, it should be back up and in good running condition shortly!

Shawn

I may wait.. we'll see what next week's paycheck looks like :wink: if I start getting my vacation pay I may be visiting Summit some time next week...

I am really interested in the cam you have, the 260, my only small concern is tuning? From what I've read the computer won't adjust very well, and I by no stretch of the imagination have the means/knowledge of tuning a chip myself, nor is it something I want to get into at this point. (I have a TG160, btw).

Also not sure on these lifters.. I haven't compared the old ones side by side yet but they're definetly somewhat different. Doesn't seem like the oiling groves on the side aren't* (misspell) as extensive on these, and they look a little different besides that too. We shall see...

I've done absolutely no tuning to mine. I have the same chip and although I don't know what the gain was because I did the topend swap and UD pulley at the same time, there was definately a huge gain with everything I did. According to my G-tech I gained ~7 tenths and 6mph in the 1/4. And although the G-tech isn't completely accurate, its pretty consistant with itself. And since I changed that much stuff it should've really confused the computer and I still got a huge gain, so I don't think I'd worry about the tuning aspect of it.

I'm sure with tuning the cam would offer much greater gains, but without tuning it should still provide good gains. The only problem you probably will have is after the cam you will pretty much be at the point where you will need bigger injectors to get any more power out of it.

Shawn

• 17 years later...

This car was unfortunately crushed a number of years ago.  I would recommend starting your own thread and ask direct questions on what you're looking for with regards to a manual trans option!