Reviving the TSTE

GutlessSupreme

lol If you really don't want to change the distributor drive gasket, at least go pay 95 cents for an old style paper distributor gasket part number 12665 from autozone.

or look one up for a 78 chevy impala (any 70's GM v6)

The paper plenum gasket are too thin, on the 91+ plenum you can't hold the plenum down because the the bolts torque against the the lower intake by torquing through the metal jacket they are mounted through. No torque is actually applied against the plenum if the plenum is not held high enough(the gaskets job).

-Ken

P.S. the metal type are reusable if in good shape, according to service manuals.

the holes for the bolts on the '88-'90 plenum are smaller, because they were just the bolts. '91+ got spiffy sleves and stuff that fit perfectly into bigger holes in the plenum. kinda wish i had though (even though it doesn't really make a difference). And the pre-'91 bolts won't bolt into the '91+ intake manifold.

Guest TurboSedan

you must have had a '91+ LIM on the '90 engine? because no way are the '91 bolts going to thread into the '88-'90 plenum. the bolts are just way to small.

i had a '91 plenum on a '90 engine for a little while, but i had to use the older bolts.

Is it just the way the upper plenum/lower manifold bolts together that is different?

Also, is there any disadvantage to having a '90 3.1 as far as reliability etc?

The actual threading in the LIM is different between the years, and the size of the bolt holes in the plenum. And of course the bolts themselves. The changes do not affect anything, certainly not any sort of reliability issue...

i prefer the paper Felpro plenum gaskets. Jeff M mentioned one time that one of his friends tried using those metal/o-ring plenum gaskets on a TGP, but couldn't get it torqued properly with an in/lb wrench and broke the plenum :shock: those ones listed above probably would work; the difference is the '91 bolts are 'bigger'. well, '91+ plenum bolts themselves are smaller, but they have a rubber sleeve which makes the bolt holes in the plenum (and gaskets) bigger.

You have to be pretty torque-happy(no offense to Tony and whoever else has broken a plenum :shock: ) to overtighten them that much I would imagine. I've got the fel-pro metal gaskets in my SE right now and had no issue torquing them to spec....I used them at the time because that's what came int the kit I purchased. The plenum does sit up a little bit higher w/ the metal gaskets from what I remember, but I would have to compare my 93 to my 90 to say for sure.

You have to be pretty torque-happy(no offense to Tony and whoever else has broken a plenum :shock: ) to overtighten them that much I would imagine.

Thing is I didn't even really tighten it down that much! I didn't really torque a thought so I just put them on pretty snug, but it shouldn't have caused that. Only thing I can think of is I screwed up the surface flatness when I hit it them with the die grinder (obviously that would do it if I made them uneven but I hadn't thought that they were).

yeah the seal is for the crank, and the gasket is for the face of the block.

link didn't seem to work.

As in just the opposite of the main rear seal?

Odd, I checked the link before I posted it.. maybe it depends on cookies.

FELPRO

W/O SLEEVE "N" SEAL TCS45828 $13.99

FELPRO

W/SLEEVE "N" SEAL TCS45976 $6.99

WITH .565" SLEEVE LENGTH

FELPRO

W/SLEEVE "N" SEAL TCS45827 $19.99

WITH 1.040" SLEEVE LENGTH

ENGINE_SEAL 82813 $4.79

VALUCRAFT

W/O SLEEVE "N" SEAL VTS12240G $9.99

ROL TS12240 $4.69