So lets say I have an extra leaf spring....

lakefxgp96

I've been thinking, the leafspring is just figerglass, i know its going to break if slots are cut into it!

What if I uniformly removed X amount of meterial from both sides of the spring except for the padding areas. Would you anticipate this successfully lowering the car without damaging the spring?

I do in fact have an extra spring that i pulled out of the Z34. The Z was 2" or more lower than stock, and sagged bad. One rear strut was actually blown completely. The ride quality in that car was terrible and noisy, but i believe it was only because of the struts. I switched springs when I switched the struts---Would this be considered a saggy spring, or just a different spring rate? And why does the GTP spring i replaced it with have rubber pads on the end and not the lumina one I pulled?

The one on top is the 95 GTP spring i pulled, the bottom one is the 93 Z34 spring I replaced.

leaves.jpg

I loved the ride height the lumina used to have in the rear, but not the ride quality or handling--again not sure if it was just the struts or a saggy spring. ???!?

If you remove any material, I would guess on 1 of 2 things happening.

The spring will fracture either when you grind it down or the first time you drive on it , OR if it can be sucessfully shaved down , it may ride lower but will not be nearly as firm as it needs to be. I would anticipate you bottoming out a lot.

Then again what do I know??? :shrug:

It may work great....

Just put in a saggy spring...the spring in my car is a freaking pile (car sits level with the stock front springs, when its definately not supposed to) and the car rides fine. I have Monroe Gasmatic struts that are almost new out back.

When the struts were shot, it rode like ass. The spring lowered itself after i had an All-Iron 4-speed transmission in my trunk for a few weeks