96 lumina cooling fan question

chipper

I have a 96 lumina 3.1, the right side radiator fan is not coming on, the left side will come on when the motor temp rises, I can turn on the a/c and neither fan will come on, unless the temp is up enough, then the drivers side radiator fan will kick on and run awhile.[the ac comp is kicking in and working] I changed the fan relays, checked all the fuses, ran a hot wire to the right fan and tested it,[works good]. but will not come on with the a/c engaged, or when the motor temp rises. Is it supposed to run when the a/c is on? The car is not overheating, and the temp is normal, Am I overlooking something? Could it be in the a/c dash controls? I have run out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.

well, the second fan only comes on when necessary, when the temp hits 220 the second fan is supposed to come on, so if the temp never get there it wont come on. The first fan should come on a 190 or 195

Robby

You say you changed the relays. What about the fan switches? I would look into that one, that's what happened on my 94 Euro, bad switch. I don't know if the Coolant Temp sensor would effect the way the fans operate or not, I would think so. :?

Aaron

Isnt there a way to wire it, so you could swtich it on and off in the car? Be kinda nice...only thing is i dont need another thing draining my batt. I cant stand driving home aand the headlights grovving to the music too.

Jon

Isnt there a way to wire it, so you could swtich it on and off in the car? Be kinda nice...only thing is i dont need another thing draining my batt. I cant stand driving home aand the headlights grovving to the music too.

Jon

Yup. Run a wire from the cold side of the relay(s) in the electrical center to ground *through* a switch mounted under your dash..or where ever. Be careful you don't pick the wrong terminal ..the other one is +12 volts and you'll blow things (like fuses etc).