stupid lowering idea

pwmin

ok, so for a winter project, although it wouldnt take long at all, i was thinking about getting a set of spare front strut tower assemblies. since i have more room to lower in the rear with my CO's, i was thinking about taking the spare assemblies and lowering them 1/2" or so more using the stock springs. now, i wouldnt run around much on this, it would be mostly for show, but what would the best way to lower the front using the stock springs? cutting, clamping, heatin, etc.? i dont care about ride or the ghetto factor, but i dont want something that isnt safe. i know there is some info to be found by searching about lowering techniques, but i wanted a topic to suit my specific question. basically, my car is 1.5" lower than stock in the front right now and i think i could probably get 2 - 2 1/2" total with my coilovers, so i would like a "good" (def being a relative term) way to lower the stock front springs about 2-2.5". thanx, and no flaming please :wink:

:shock: , warm up the springs if u have to, but it's dangerous. If i were you i'd get the little "spring helpers" and clamp a set on each side. It's like a small clamp that fits over two coils and squeezes them together. After your show you can take them off. Best way to do it i guess :?

If you have a welder, i would cut the bottom perch off as close to the strut as possible, and weld it on lower, with some pipe between the bottom of the strut and the perch as bracing. Or even triangulate the bracing.

heres a simple way. go out and find about the fattest fucking girl ever, and just have her ride in your front seat. Actually, cutting the springs might be safer than that.

Ok, enough of that. I heard that you can't cut the springs on our cars because they have special shaped ends on them. Maybe someone can confirm or deny this.

Guest TurboSedan

Ok, enough of that. I heard that you can't cut the springs on our cars because they have special shaped ends on them. Maybe someone can confirm or deny this.

no, they don't. but, you need to keep the spring ends 'clocked' in relationship to one another i believe. cut 1/2 coil off each end maybe....

no, they don't. but, you need to keep the spring ends 'clocked' in relationship to one another i believe. cut 1/2 coil off each end maybe....

if you cut 1/2 coil off they won't fit in the rubber perch correctly/ I was actually going to do that on my car when i put ST springs on it.

You can cut up to 1.5 turns off the bottom of the spring. Mine are that way. Then you definitelly need new strut cartridges, otherwise it will shake like a 10 year old accord on coilovers, Puerto Rican style :peace: By the way guys, it's not that bad driving with chopped springs. As you cut them shorter they become stiffer and your car doesn't bottom out at all, the ride is hard but not out of control. Actually, the stiffness of the front chopped springs matches the stiffness of the RAT coilovers(rear). 1.5 turns loweres the front of the car 2", with stock engine.

RAT coilovers? thx for the info. i have my old strut cartridges that were still good when i replaced them.

now, next question: what strut tower asembly would i need? anything 94+ 1st gen W? i think i know the answer, but just making sure.