Oil coolers

GrandPrix34

i was wondering if tranny and engine oil coolers would be any effective in heling my 3.4 out? i had an idea about add a 3rd fan infront of the radiator and the stock tranny cooler connected to a switch...any ideas, comments, etc?

Guest TurboSedan

i thought the DOHC cars came with factory auxillary engine oil coolers :?: i think there is an oil cooler bolt on kit for our cars from the GM dealership (factory style?), if someone could post the part # ?? that would be great. i would definately recommend an auxillary tranny cooler too for durability and extended tranny life. my '85 9C1 Impala had a factory auxillary tranny *filter* mounted behind the grille so it worked as a tranny fluid cooler too. i'm not really sure on the fan thing, which brands, types etc. FWIW the TGP uses a pusher fan in front of the intercooler so i guess you could apply that method to an oil or tranny cooler also.

joshua

I'm pretty sure the DOHCs have engine oil coolers. But not all of them have trans coolers. But you've got one, so your OK. And don't bypass the radiator trans cooler. It's very important!

But as for the smoke, I assume it was coming from the trans dipstick? You should get a trans temp gauge and see what your temp really is. I don't really think you'd need a fan for the trans cooler...you're money is spent better on the gauge, or some other mod.

Jason

i thought all gm fwd auto's had a tranny cooler!? It would be crazy not to have one :( ! If you want to you can get a becool or b&m unit or really any kind with a fan. Its no biggie and should fit in the passenger side front bumper where the stocker is. I would check jegs, jcwhitney (i got one from there before), summitracing, ramchargers.com. If you want to get an oil filter relocator and oil cooler (DO NOT GET THE KITS WITH HOSE CLAMPS) been there done that and its a pain in the ass even with dual clips. It will eventually leak over and over and over or in my case blow off at the starting line at the track making me the hated one ----->:cry: . I strongly suggest getting the kits with FIXED ends.

Oh yeah, there are some cars that should have tranny coolers dont. For example, my 1994 Olds Convertibe with the 3.4 didn't have the cooler from the factory. And imagine that...it had a trans problem.

But the trans still worked really good!

And my friends 98 Lumina LTZ with the 3800 didn't have a trans cooler. And, can you guess, it had a bad tranny.

Jason

Guest TurboSedan
Oh yeah, there are some cars that should have tranny coolers dont. For example, my 1994 Olds Convertibe with the 3.4 didn't have the cooler from the factory. And imagine that...it had a trans problem.

But the trans still worked really good!

And my friends 98 Lumina LTZ with the 3800 didn't have a trans cooler. And, can you guess, it had a bad tranny.

Jason

stupid question but, - they still had the trans cooler in the radiator didn't they? you just mean no auxillary trans cooler?

joshua

The DOHC autos did come with stock tranny coolers. If you are looking for better cooling power get something that handles the load better. I replaced my stack cooler with a B&M. I figure it is well worth it if it keeps my mixer from going on me.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=86622&prmenbr=361

It took a run to a local ace hardware to get the right conectors and moving the mounting brakets to get it to work but it's a bad ass cooler. 130-70298 I believe I got this one.

They quit putting auxilliary tranny coolers on the 3.4 DOHC from 94+.

At least not standard, I'm not even sure that it was an option 94+ though.

BTW, let me know if you want to sell your stock stacked plate cooler.

Shawn:

I've got atleast 2 of them, maybe three extra ones. I'll have to hit the storage unit sometime soon and let you know.

Yeah, I was talking about the AUX coolers. All GM W-bodies had/have the radiator coolers. The radiator coolers keep the trans fluid from continously heating during idleing. If you think about it, the trans fluid will never exceed the engine coolant in temperature. So that's why they have them. If you bypassed it the trans fluid will keep getting hotter and hotter when idleing.

Jason