Power steering pump replacement gone wrong. PICS!! and Video

cutlass1991

First off, I'm putting on a new pump. This is the old one I started with:

pump1.jpg

chip.jpg

First I bought just the pump w/o the resivoir thinking that I would reuse the one I have. Well, my mysterious leak was caused by the plastic nozzle breaking on the resivoir tank.

badtube.jpg

So back to the parts store, this time I have the pump and the tank. I cannot get the pressure line off of the old pump. I used a 5/8" flare wrench on the line side and a good quality cresent wrench on the pump side. the flare wrench ended up stripping the nut on the line.

roundoff.jpg

I'm fucked, so I decided to take the new resivoir off of the new pump and put it on the old pump since I am assuming the leak was caused by the broken resivoir nozzle... Now I notice a small amount of liquid collect around the edge where the arrows are pointing...

leak.jpg

Is it possible for the pump to leak in this spot, or do you think it is just fluid coming from somewhere else? I have no idea what to do at this point, either finish putting on the old pump that could possible be leaking from the spot with the arrows, or figure out a way to get that stripped nut off so I can put the new pump on....

Ya know.. You could have tried some good ol JB80 THat stuff would have really helped you to get that nut off.. BUt hey, who cares, its done, right? Good job..

BTW, Im with John.. :lol:

Well, the car has been running good for the last couple days. I think it is safe to say that my car doesn't leak anything again.

I replaced the stock pulley with an aftermarket replacement pulley. One problem I ran into was pushing the pulley back onto the pump. It didn't have a lip on the inside that stops you from pushing it on too far, so I thought I might have put it on a couple millimeters too far. I went to pull it out a little and found that the pulley puller doesn't fit onto it. Hopefully I'll never have to replace this part again.

Also, the pulley looks like it woubles really slightly while running. Do you think this is normal? I asked the guy at Advance when I returned the core and he said it was normal, but I didn't really trust him because his name was "Obie".

Check out the video http://www.pitt.edu/~dja9/w-body/PowerSteering.wmv(3.21MB) and see if you can tell what I'm talking about.