wow, nothing like changing the 3800 plugs | finished finally

john99gtp

Wasn't there always a pic a while back posted onhere with a guy had his engine hooked up to a van or truck and that was what was pulling the engine forward??

Dunno who posted that, but I'm pretty it was posted on this forum...a long time ago

that was me :lol: that was BEFORE i figured out the tranny needed to be in neutral to get the engine rocked enough to use the slave bolt hole on the dogbones. I was gonna call John a noob but I just got owned so I'll shut up :lol:

http://members.cox.net/odyssey37/images/cutlass/IMG_4945%20(Small).jpg

Level surface, park brake on, tranny in neutral, unbolt engine side of both dogbones, grab the alternator (make sure it's not hot), yank engine forward, slide bolt through slave hole on driver's side dogbone.

omg its done, and holy crap this is a long post!

26 hours later ( i started around 5:30 last night, BUT i was gone ALL DAY today, and started back up at 5 tonite) the spark plugs in the TGP have finally been changed (wires too)

i used the "take the huge ass alternator bracket off" method, and i tilted the engine forward slightly (ive got big manly arms, not those little sticks like some other people :P) and was able to reach the back 3.

forgot to put that black bracket on that goes behind the alternator (doh) so i just threw it in the cabin for now. took a bit for it to start, then it caught, coughed a couple times, then smoothed out for a nice 1300 rpm idle. i let it sit for 5 minutes or so while i picked up, then took it for a test drive.

OH MY GOD! what a difference new plugs and wires make. it shot right through first and second was pulling just as well, no more shuddering!!!!! weeee

i took it down one side street and took off from a 5 mph roll, again no shuddering like it was doing before. took it down another side street, which begins with a big ass downhill, and it STALLED!!!! while going downhill. I was watching the tach before it stalled and it was going 1300->400 and vice versa. then i recalled, duh, idle relearn. so im going down the hill, next thing i see

"CHECK GAUGES" i was like wtf, i didnt hear it stall cause the engines quiet when its not under load, but i looked at the tach and it said 0, i was like SHIT, popped the fucker and neutral, and started back up. that was the first time a car has stalled on me while driving, man was it scary. few thoughts went through my mind, like, oh shit, electronic brakes :willynilly: (which, in afterthought, would be better in a situation like this), the next thought was transmission in drive with the engine off. wow, that was scary

so yea, 15 year old plugs and wires are bad mmmk :P

Wow this turned out to be long

cliffnotes:

15 year old plugs and wires are bad

cars running awesome

dont be a dumbass and drive without an idle relearn, it could stall on you (which is not cool)

the car seems like a whole new animal now.

john is very happy. w00t :willynilly:

Glad to hear you got it done. Pulling the alt is the fastest way for me to do it as well. I got it down to a 15 minute job last spring since I kept fouling plugs from the whole melted wires problem I went through.

Aweosme, good to hear she's running top notch again :D

So, with this ABS in the TGP....don't you have ANY power assist or any stopping power with the engine off, even if you have to push the pedal with all your weight on it??

I know when I ran out of gas :oops: while merging onto the freeway, I coasted into the local Safeway and SLAMMED on the brakes, the pedal was stiff as hell, but the car stopped non-the-less.

And your lucky that your car will start in neutral lol.....mine you have to put it inbetween neutral and reverse lol :lol:

to tell you the truth, im not sure. i believe since its electronic it will work, but the car stalled while i was on the brakes since i was going downhill, so i didnt let off at all. it was one of those panic situations, and since they were on already, i was like, im slowing down if worse comes to worse.

im curious as well, hopefully someone will answer

i got them at advance auto

pretty much direct plug and play, i got ac delco ones to replace them.

ACDELCO 706R, GM# 12073938

they were a bit longer then the stockers, but worked otherwise. only downside is no number on the wires like the stockers :bash: