wow, nothing like changing the 3800 plugs | finished finally

john99gtp

so i am attempting to change my plugs and wires on the tgp, damn.

first of all, i couldnt get the damn clip off for like 30 minutes, the ones that hold the front wires in. i finally got that off, and darkness has been settling in.

so i have the front plugs and wiires completly done, so i am now attempting the rears. how in gods name do you rock this engine forward far enuff!!!! im rocking it like crazy, and its moving back fine, just not forward. is it even possible with one guy to do?

and check out this surprise when i undid one of my dogbones

bushing-small.jpg

bigger pic here: http://www.jbarbieri.net/gtp/tgp/plugs/bushing.jpg

thats supposed to be one of my bushings :(

oh well, more stuff to add to the list to fix/upgrade (mmmm, poly bushings)

oh yea, and when i pulled the #2 plug, the plug and cylinder stunk like gasoline.

could it be it was just on the compression cycle but didnt fire yet? im hoping

When i change the plugs on my 3.1, i usually park the car on a level surface, than i put a block of wood on my floor jack, and then place it at the back of the tranny pan. Jack it up until the motor is rocked foward enough. I would make sure that the wood is long enough so that it spans the whole width of the pan, so it distributes the weight evenly.

John, check your coils, might be your problem.

I have an engine tilter, you can rent one from pep boys, works pretty good. Let me know if you need a hand this weekend, sucks that you're 2 hours away though :lol:

haha, it aint going anywhere this weekend.

im going to import wars tomorrow (you should come!!!) then ill just borrow a ratcheting strap thing from my grandfather and finish them tomorrow night. i was thinking of maybe taking the TGP to import wars, but ive given up for the night, the fronts are done, and couldnt even start the rears.

oh the joys of no room to work with in the engine bay :D

how can that be much harder than my 3100....it took me about 45min to do all 6 and I was not ina hurry....

is your tranny in Neutral....that will make a difference in being able to tilt it forward.

i treid neutral and ebrake, but i cant pull it far enough forward. :(

doesnt help i cant find a good place to grab onto, dont wanna rip off my valvecovers :P (:cough: shaun :cough:)

put your engine mount bolts back in the engine side and then wrap a tie-down strap to it and winch it forward.........easy to do...then you don't have to worry about ripping stuff off.

I did it and didn't take alot of work...

Wasn't there always a pic a while back posted onhere with a guy had his engine hooked up to a van or truck and that was what was pulling the engine forward??

Dunno who posted that, but I'm pretty it was posted on this forum...a long time ago

No tilting necessary! All I did was remove the MAP sensor and the bracket holding the throttle cable wires. With enough socket extensions, that's really all that you have to do. This was on a LH0 of course.

John, take it from a fellow 3.1 owner. Taking the alternator off is waste of time. With the right tools, the only thing major you have to take off is the MAP sensor.
:wink: It don't take long at all taking the alt off.

Guest TurboSedan

i would take the alternator bracket off (with alternator attatched). just take the belt off (takes 10 seconds) and then remove the three 15mm bolts that hold the alternator bracket to the rear cylinder head. that should take about 5 minutes. pull the alternator and bracket out of the way. you'll have a ton of room and you won't be tightening the plugs at some wierd angle risking cracking a plug during installation.

now removing the dogbones....that is a waste of time. just make your life easier and pull the alternator bracket. you don't have to unplug the alternator or take the alternator off the bracket.

Dave's easy tip for tilting engine forward:

Set e-brake (!) then put car in reverse (or drive, I forget but you'll quickly figure it out)- engine will be fully tilted! Then quick go and put a bolt through the dogbone to hold engine in place. Put back in neutral/park turn off engine.

Your e-brake must work 100% or you risk running yourself down!!!

Guest TurboSedan
Dave's easy tip for tilting engine forward:

Set e-brake (!) then put car in reverse (or drive, I forget but you'll quickly figure it out)- engine will be fully tilted! Then quick go and put a bolt through the dogbone to hold engine in place. Put back in neutral/park turn off engine.

Your e-brake must work 100% or you risk running yourself down!!!

no working e-brake here :lol: but seriously undoing the dogbones is at least as hard as getting the alternator out of the way and it gives wayyyy more room to work with than tilting the engine forward. i use a 6" extension for plug #5, and a 3" extension for plugs #1 and #3. i just installed new plugs today when Dan came over.

Wasn't there always a pic a while back posted onhere with a guy had his engine hooked up to a van or truck and that was what was pulling the engine forward??

That's how I tilt the motor in all the cars I've had...it's not that unheard of. :lol:

Works really good actually, assuming you dont get in the car that's tied to the motor and floor it or something. :)

That's how I tilt the motor in all the cars I've had...it's not that unheard of. :lol:

Works really good actually, assuming you dont get in the car that's tied to the motor and floor it or something. :)

No no, I was just recommending as an option....not making fun of at all...I faintly remember that picture, but it was pretty damn cool