my car is drinking power steering fluid like an alcoholic

cutlass1991

Alright, I know I posted about this problem a couple times, but I just need someone to tell me what they would do. My car leaks tons of PS fluid, like 1 bottle every 75 miles. I have tried the stop leak stuff, probably about 5 bottles by now. I checked the hoses and nothing is squirting out. The leak is on the top end because my whole engine is covered in it (around where fluid would collect, like in bolt holes and near the valve covers and such). On the pulley there is a small chip out of the edge, but I dont think it is affecting the belt at all.

Does this sound like a pump seal leak, and if so, should I just get a new PS pump?

Let me know if pictures would help and I will get them on here.

BTW, the engine is a '91 3.1L

-Dan

On my 2.8 it was leaking on the pump, spraying all over the engine bay. Replaced the pump and it was all good. Make sure you clean or replace the surpentine belt, cause PS fluid eats away at the rubber.

Make sure you clean or replace the surpentine belt,

That's a good idea, it probably needs changed anyway. If do get a new pump, I'm probably gonna do the belt and the tensioner all at the same time too.

The only thing that bugs me is that I never see any fluid spraying, even while turning the wheels.

pump and/or high pressure line.

I could never figure out why there was always p/s fluid on the cradle, turned out when I cut the wheel all the way, it would seep out of the h/p hose.

I have an *extra* power steering pump for my '93 Cutlass Supreme w/ 3.1. I can't remember what I paid for it. I thought it was bad from the vibrations but it turned out to be the waterpump. If you do need a new pump, let me know and I'll cut you a deal. It's still sealed up in the bag...genuine GM from GMpartsdirect.com.