brake line replacement help

nick90euro

hey, i was drivin and slammed on my brakes cuz of sum bluehair infront of me and one of my rear brake lines blew and my pedal went to the floor. how hard is it to replace one? its one of the steel lines that connect about rite behind the driver door underneath. do i need to replace the whole thing? i got quoted from my work (goodyear) for about 80 bux plus i need a tow service which is another 40 bux so 120 alltogether. should i just get the parts myself and do it? ive never done brake lines so i dunno what im doin....Nick

Unless they sell the pre-bent lines, you will have to bend your own. Also, I do believe that whatever section is busted, you have to replace that. Not sure how far back it go's, as there may be some other connection along the way so it could just be a shorter piece.

Check along the line to see if there's a coupler, otherwise you'll have to make a run from the master cylinder (unless you're good at flaring out the old line in a spot that isn't rusted.) It's not hard at all to bend your own line, and even if you spend $10-20 on tubing bender, you're still coming out ahead.

FWIW, I had a hardline rust out on my old LeSabre. It was on the passenger side rear, and the line ran over the rear IRS to a coupler on the driver's side. The line had all kinds of 90* bends in it, but I was able to bend it to match the old line in less than 20 minutes.

You can drive your car safely with a blown brake line/hose. All modern master cylinders have 2 "circuits." The right front and left rear wheels are on one circuit, and the other 2 are on the other. Just be sure to keep the MC full and you should be able to limp the car just fine...

im just gunna have them do it, 80 bux aint that bad cuz im lazy too..hehe and id have to fill up my MC every 2 miles cuz that line was leakin like a sivv. btw its the driver rear brake line if ne1 cares

I'll bet i know right where it failed...basically, where they make the turn farther away from the ground by the fuel filter.

I've fixed that section before...super easy...my $9.99 harbor freight double flaring tool, a mini pipe cutter, some 3/16" brake tubing and flared it and used unions i bought at napa...worked awesome and since i already had the tools, it cost maybe $10

that sounds about right. i believe its right around that bend to make it closer to the floor of the car right after where the line starts, at the spot where the one line goes into a junction and splits into two lines.....if u were closer id say id give ya a case of beer or sumthin to do it for me but u aint even close.....nick