Mclaren Grand Prix Turbo Kit Question

M-I-A

I have a friend who is selling a Turbo kit from a Maclaren. Not sure what year. He bought it to put it in his Buick Century but needs to sell cause he needs the money. Well he was not sure if it would work but still bought the kit. I am very interested in it. I would like to ask if this kit would work on my car and with what kind of mods would have to be done for it to work. I know the 3.1s in both cars look different but im not sure how different they are inside and out.

Thanks

That, and you have a 3100, not a 3.1. You will need to make some custom exhaust manifolds, or atleast have someone make some adapters for the ports(they are shaped differently). Custom crossover, custom downpipe, damn custom ECU tuning for that car, oil lines, custom oil pan, etc.....

Differences? Tons of differences. For one, your ECU doesn't have a reprogrammable chip, the whole thing has to be reprogrammed. Second, the exhaust ports are different, which means custom manifolds. The downpipe that came on the TGP's is most likely not going to fit properly. IMHO, the turbo will be way small for that engine, as it was already small for the 3.1, and your 3100 outflows a 3.1.

gunan have 2 fab 1 up yourself, thats the easy part. getting it to run right is going to be a whole lot of fun. a TGP chip will only work if you convert the engine to OBDI, program the chip to understand a 4t60e (your tranny vs the 4t60 in a TGP) and map fuel/spark curves. easy answer, it cant be done (right) for cheap, end of story.

I do remember seeing a supercharger for it, but again, not cheap.

see how much his bottom dollar for the tgp kit is, and whats included

That, and you have a 3100, not a 3.1. You will need to make some custom exhaust manifolds, or atleast have someone make some adapters for the ports(they are shaped differently). Custom crossover, custom downpipe, damn custom ECU tuning for that car, oil lines, custom oil pan, etc.....

The TGP ex manifolds will fit on 31xx heads along with the TGP xover. It does require a bit of grinding to match the D and you need to make sure that the manifolds are in the lowest position when fitting and installing.

Jud

Heres what comes in the kit

3.1 V6 McLaren Grand Prix TURBO kit

This is a complete USED turbo kit that looks like new, I buy it about 3 months a go, I was going to put it on my Buick century 3100 with some minor mods, but got my car wrecked…I buy this kit used but in super good condition, the turbo has almost no shaft play if none…this kit includes every thing you need to install it to a stock Grand Prix Turbo model…is one of the best turbo kits for a GM V6 you will find on the web, because of its condition and number of parts, I was planning to put it on a 3100sfi, and my mechanic told me that he will do the job for me, so if you are planning to modify a Buick Century, Chevy Malibu or some 3100-3400 engine, maybe you will find a good mechanic like mine that does the job for you or you could try.

Here is the list:

1 Garrett M24 A/R .80 water cooled TURBO charger, with internal waste gate and waste gate to turbo mini hose , the turbo is made in France and still has 2 metal plaques that indicate the serial number and were it was made

1 turbo heat metal shield

1 Intercooler 381x165 core

2 intercooler rubber brackets

2 manifolds

1 manifold shield

1 manifold gasket

1 manifolds to turbo crossover

1 turbo to exhaust pipe

1 exhaust pipe bracket

3 turbo to intercooler flexible hoses

2 rubber adapters for the cold air pipes

2 intercooler to motor and motor to intercooler metal pipes

1 air filter box with 3 missing clamps

1 air filter box flexible steeled hose

1 used air filter

1 oxygen sensor

2 metal water lines [one goes to the turbo and the other from the turbo, includes their nuts]

2 oil lines [one goes to the turbo and the other from the turbo, includes their nuts, and one is the big one for draining the oil and includes a rubber hose]

1 steeled oil line with adapter

13 black hose brackets

1 exhaust EGR valve [exhaust valve recirculation]

20 screws

6 nuts

foto21en.th.jpg

foto35im.th.jpg

foto17sx.th.jpg

foto55ro.th.jpg

Guest TurboSedan

wow, that turbo looks brand new. are the exhaust manifolds and turbine coated?

that looks like almost everything you would need to me. you would still need:

- TGP memcal

- boost controller (cheap)

- GM 2-bar MAP sensor

- TGP oil pan or have a fitting for the oil drain put in your pan (depends on which engine it goes on)

- the big upper metal pipe for coolant return/TB heater and the fitting that goes in the block that regulates coolant flow to the turbo.

- TGP oil filter cooler & adapter so you can hook up the coolant lines

- TGP radiator so the intercooler will fit, along with the upper mounting panel

- turbo support bracket/tranny shield piece, or have your own fabbed up like i did.

and more than likely the flex bellows on the crossover pipe will need to be replaced, as the stock bellows are total crap and don't last long at all.