Regal brake problem

Alf

Hi all,

I'm new in here, this is my first post. I have a '91 Regal Limited Coupe, and it's brake doesn't work so fine. The pedal is hard to push and there is very poor braking power. It's almost impossible to stop the car sometimes, it's very scary when you running at 50 MpH.

It doesn't help if I pump the pedal or push it slowly or suddenly. It's always the same effect.

I don't know what to do with it, please help me in this!

Thank you very much,

Alf

First of all, Your back brakes suck. They're doing about 30% of the braking, and that's IF they're not seized and if you're not setting your parking brake all the time.

http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/brakes-rearcalipers94.html

upgrade to those and see if there's a difference :) It should make a hell of a difference.

However, since your pedal is hard to push, it may be something else, I believe it's called the "master cylinder" or something, but I'm not sure, perhaps other will be able to give input :D

-MaD-

Shawn, I think I read something about ceramic? brake pads? would these be good? if not, which would be "The Best"? And they should work with any type of rotor, correct?

Also, where can you find those rotors that don't accumulate rust? They're all silver and nice looking :)

-MaD-

I've never used ceramic so I really can't comment on them. I've heard ceramic is supposed to produce a lot less brake dust though.

Rotors that don't rust... I think you're looking for the cadmium plated ones. I forget the name of the company that makes them, but I think you could get them at http://www.cyberauto.com

MaD,

Thanks for the upgrade info, I'll do that if I can make my brake system working properly with the original rear calipers. But only after that.

Shawn,

I don't know about those ceramic pads, but I think I have a more serious problem. I've ckecked all my rotors and pads, they're in very good shape now!

Lee,

It's anti-lock! Do you have any idea, what can be my problem and how to solve it?

All,

I forget to tell you, that my parking brake is not working (yeah, I know about the repair info on this site!), maybe because of the seized rear calipers or the setting lever.

And also, the brake error light is on and the anti-lock error light is flashigng all the time on the instrument panel!

Please, if you have any idea, I would really appreciate it if you tell me!

Thank you all,

Alf

Oh, that's bad. A '91 with ABS means you have the PowerMaster III.

I don't know how to get codes out of a PMIII, but I know it has many common problems. I think Prior Remanufacturing sells rebuilt units for much cheaper. Does the pump run all the time?

Yeah, it runs all the time when the ignition is on! That's it!

Thanks for the URL, but which part I need from them?

BUICK

REGAL

ALL ( FURNISHED SEPARATELY FROM HYD. MOD

BUICK

REGAL

COMPLETE ASSEMBLY - ACTUATOR ASSY.

BUICK

REGAL

ALL ( FURNISHED WITH MASTER CYLINDER ) -

Thanks,

Alf

that it's just the accummulator. When you said hard pedal I instantly thought about how the pedal goes hard when you do the 40 pumps ( mine takes only 21 but I do the 40 anyway) before opening the master cylnder lid.

You're in good hands with Shawn on the powermaster III advice. He has it on his TPG I believe. I assume you've check fluid levels and all. Is the resivior level (spelling, sorry) staying up? If the levels are fine I hope it's just a bad accummulator. My powermaster III has been fine all 5 1/2 years I've had the car.

Best luck!

• 8 months later...

When the pedal is hard to push (engine running), it is usually the power brake booster that has the problem and then something else.

The power brake booster is usually connected to a vacuum source so when you apply the brake, it is easy to push the pedal without requiring excessive pedal effort to stop the vehicle.

It could be just simply as loose vacuum hose or leaking vacuum hose.

Does any of this apply to a 92 GP SE 3.1 without ABS? I think I might have a similar problem although the effort to apply the brakes has not changed since I bought the car at 27K miles. However, it still doesn't seem to stop all that well. I just figured crappy pads. I've always used NAPA top of the line pads but I think they are semi metallic. I have also applied never sieze to the rear sliders and the e-brake works fine. Next time I change pads I'm going to use one of the brands mentioned on this board.

Tim

Just a FYI... a 91 with ABS does not have a power brake booster!

A 92 without ABS, the problem could be a collapsed hose going to the power brake booster.

Sorry Slade 901, we don't got no vacuum booster on ours. Our PMIII has a little motor the turns on and off to keep a high pressure brake system.

Someday I'm going to wish I had a plain vacuum system. In the winter when my ABS light lives to be on I wish like heck.

Sorry Slade 901, we don't got no vacuum booster on ours. Our PMIII has a little motor the turns on and off to keep a high pressure brake system.

Someday I'm going to wish I had a plain vacuum system. In the winter when my ABS light lives to be on I wish like heck.

At least you can transplant an ABS VI system and still have ABS for safety reasons. ABS VI works very well... in fact, I haven't even made it kick in yet on the 94, but regular braking feels the same as normal vacuum brakes. Pedal pressure is better on the 94, it doesn't take fancy brake pads to get good clamping force out of the 94+ brakes since it has a bigger booster for better power assist than even 88-93 vacuum brakes.

The ABS VI system is too big to fit a TGP as it gets in the way of the downpipe. :(

I have a Bosch 5.3 I might try to retrofit in it someday if I find I have a ton of time on my hands.

I have heard of the collapsing vacuum hose problem before. Mine seems to be OK but I still need to have someone stand on the brake while I watch under the hood. There is some assistance, it just seems that there should be more based on other cars I have. But then again, it's been that way since 27,000 miles...

Tim

in fact, I haven't even made it kick in yet on the 94

what are you talking about? you must not drive that car very often, or mine is really wierd. on dry pavement i set that thing off about 4 times a day. it is so sensitive. if i hit a bump and hit the brakes even just slightly harder than average itll kick in. even if im going over a sewer and im braking (even softer than normal) theyll go off. if im going slow enough, like less than 20mph and they kick in senselessly like that then my car jerks the whole way to a stop becasue its trying to un-lock brakes that arent locked. sometimes it gets so annoying that i just pull the fuse so i dont have to be bothered with it.

what are you talking about? you must not drive that car very often, or mine is really wierd. on dry pavement i set that thing off about 4 times a day. it is so sensitive. if i hit a bump and hit the brakes even just slightly harder than average itll kick in. even if im going over a sewer and im braking (even softer than normal) theyll go off. if im going slow enough, like less than 20mph and they kick in senselessly like that then my car jerks the whole way to a stop becasue its trying to un-lock brakes that arent locked. sometimes it gets so annoying that i just pull the fuse so i dont have to be bothered with it.

Thats sounds just like a bad wheel sensor! :) :)

Yours is broken!