changing front struts

sniperi311

ive got a 93 old cutlass supreme, im gonna do the front struts myself, i know a need the struts what are some other things in prolly need to change out with my struts, sears just did my rear , i needed strut towers, magnacam ( for the camber) and ive got a warranty on my alignment, do i need to change the front strut towers or any bearings up front or anything, dont know too much about the front end suspension, i know i need new ones though cuz the front bounces around like all hell on bumps. figured id do it myself if its just a strut cartridge change no big tear down any helps appreciated thanx

You'll need to rent (or buy) a W-body strut tool kit too.

I re-used my old bushings, and I had to use spacers under the new strut nuts. Just leave the car on the ground, pop the hood and it comes out through the top.

Have fun :)

Although the W-Body strut took kit I rented had illustrated instructions attached to the case, if I were you I'd pick up a Haynes manual while you're at the parts store just so you know what you're up against...

i got the haynes manual, they make it sound pretty easy just pull out the strut put a new one in, with the strut kit of course. i dont need to worry bout new mounts or anything like that, or does the front not have any, and of course an alignment, thanx guys

You'll see what the mounts look like once you remove the strut tower covers. I went ahead and replaced the mounts on my Regal when I installed new struts. The old ones were pretty worn, so I'm glad I sprung for the new mounts.

It really is as easy as it looks. I ran into a little snag with the KYB's I installed, though. The threads on the strut's shaft were different than the old struts, so the extension bar you thread onto the shaft to move the strut into postion wouldn't work. I had to improvise (I used a large "UniStrut" "L-bracket" bolted to the shaft to position the strut/mount in the tower.) No big deal, though, I got them back in place with no problems.

I found it easier to get the mounts back down into the tower by jacking the car up instead of trying to push the piston/mount back down (with the charge of the new struts, they just bounce back up...)

was just talkin to my buddy that works at sears, just got some work done on my car today, said if im gonna do my front struts i need to get my strut towers or struts drilled what that mean? can someone shine some light on it thanx