PS Pump pulley Question

DiscoStudd

I'm totally in the dark when it comes to knowledge of GM PS Pumps. Does anyone here have any insight into the different sizes of GM Power Steering Pump pulleys? I thought maybe the Regal GS had a larger pulley than the Regal Custom (both L27's, of course) but after looking at different parts sites, it seems as though both use the same exact pulley.

All I want to do is slow down the pump a bit so it isn't boosting the Power Steering so much. The "Grandpa" steering feel of my car doesn't jive well with my wheel/suspension mods and I want to "dial it down" a bit without resorting to swapping out the rack or attempting to add the "Variable Effort" steering option.

So long story short, does anyone know if I can easily swap in a pulley from the PS pump of any other GM motor? The pulley that's on there now is 5 3/4" (flange to flange) in diameter, and is not plastic.

Thanks guys...

Nope, there's no smaller pulley's - I just looked into this when I was mad about breakin' the stock pulley (stupid plastic with a metal hub center) - the only few choices that had that will fit this universal pump they gave me was just different belt options (either 6 rib, 5 rib or 4 rib belts)

you could always replace your P/S pressure line with a smaller diameter/longer line - of course to acheive what you are looking for you'd have to have a 10' line that's about 1/4"

wish I could be more helpful!

--Dave.

Thanks for that info, Dave. I may have to see if I can get some place to machine me a larger pulley, otherwise I need to find out if I can swap in the same pump/rack combo that my old GP had. I'm not too sure if a PS pump from a 3100 will easily bolt onto a 3800, though :shrug: . Maybe if I put some kind of restrictor plate (like a washer) inside of where the pressure line attaches to the pump it'll achieve the same thing???

I think most of the w's have the same pump - I know the 3100, and the 3.4 dohc have nearly the same unit, altho the return line for the 3.4 is machined larger then the 3100 to fit the P/S fluid reservoir - not sure 'bout the 3800's tho.

remember, a larger pully will mean you'll need a larger belt too if you do go that route, and once you reach XXXX rpm's you'll have the same feel again, slowing the pump won't change too much, except put more strain on that hydraulic system.

--Dave.