Weights of different components of our vehicles

slick

Otherwise, if someone wants to blow some money on carbonfiber :lol:.

I was on some ricer forum once where a few kids actually made their own carbon fiber hoods. They made a giant mold, laid some carbon fiber cloth, poured epoxy, and vacuum bagged it. I think it wasn't that expensive for them because they had access to vacuum bagging equipment. It was kind of a cool idea, I wish I'd bookmarked it.

Damn shoulda! I know theres been people that have made there own hoods out of fiberglass and some sort of plastic as well. The hard part is making the mold, but If I can get that figured out, well.... :wink:

If I remember right, the guys built a wooden frame for the mold. Then they filled it with something roughly to the shape of the hood and then poured a mold rubber over that and put the hood in it.

I think you could possibly use Great Stuff or something to get the rough shape of the hood. Just cut/grind off the high spots. Then pour some silicone rubber mold compound like the stuff you can get from http://www.smooth-on.com, then set the hood in there. I think it would make a pretty good mold. To get the inner framework, you might have to mold the bottom half first. Then when you put the carbon fiber cloth and epoxy in the mold for the top half, set the frame work in there that you already made and roll the cloth over it kind of like how the stock sheetmetal is done. Sounds like a cool, but very big project.

I keep searching Google, but I can't remember what keywords I used. :x

Sounds like a good project once I get moved into this house. It sounds very feasible. As for the bottom innards of the hood, i would probably just skip all that out, except for the hood hinge part and the hood latch part. If I can find some decently priced plastic, I might give this a shot. Hell, even fiberglass isn't that hard to do. Just gotta get the mold right.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slick

• z34_nut

• GnatGoSplat

• jeremy

Sounds like a good project once I get moved into this house. It sounds very feasible. As for the bottom innards of the hood, i would probably just skip all that out, except for the hood hinge part and the hood latch part. If I can find some decently priced plastic, I might give this a shot. Hell, even fiberglass isn't that hard to do. Just gotta get the mold right.

Without the framework, wouldn't it be all floppy and stuff?

Without the framework, wouldn't it be all floppy and stuff?

Actually, the curves, bends, and corners are the strongest parts. It's the flat parts that are weak and would flop. This could easily be solved with a few small pieces of aluminum (2-3" long) in a criss-cross pattern throughout those parts. It would be a very very simple frame, and what mihela is suggesting.

Actually, the curves, bends, and corners are the strongest parts. It's the flat parts that are weak and would flop. This could easily be solved with a few small pieces of aluminum (2-3" long) in a criss-cross pattern throughout those parts. It would be a very very simple frame, and what mihela is suggesting.

Yeah, that'd work, although I think an exact duplicate in carbon fiber would be lighter and more rigid.

Yeah, that'd work, although I think an exact duplicate in carbon fiber would be lighter and more rigid.

Yeah, you're probably right. But that stuff is damn expensive though. Besides for making a mold, I could make a hood for less than $100.

Well... I found a few sites on how to make some molds. Doesn't seem all too hard, just really time consuming. But, they way it sounds, shouldn't be all to hard at all.

The front struts with springs are ~60lbs each. I have some in my basement but I don't have a scale. Rotors are 10lbs each.

Try moving one of those fuckers while it's loaded, spring, rotor, caliper and all. It's at LEAST 80 pounds, and very awkwardly shaped to carry..