Weights of different components of our vehicles

slick

The other site got me thinking as to what each part of our car weighs in at.

So... In total, our cars weigh in at about 3400 lbs. Seats weigh 20-30 lbs each, interior carpeting and insulation, including the trunks stuff, probably weighs another 50-ish lbs. How much does the tranny weigh? Engine weight, and I'm sure this varies by engine? Subframe weight? Suspension knuckles? Empty unibody weigh in at(really one or two people could answer that, and one I know is patgizz). Dash is fairly light, I have one sitting in my closet. Doors with full trim? Trunk lid weighs in about 30-40 lbs, same with the hood.

Trying to figure out what would be the most effective way to lose weight on this cars.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slick

• z34_nut

• GnatGoSplat

• jeremy

Stripped of hood, front bumper, and trunk...I think the car would weigh about 2400 2500.

You have power leather...That add weight

about 20-30 lbs per seat for the fronts. The rear seats might be 30ish mabey 40.

Center console is about 20-25, and the dash should be about 40lbs, but I think I'm underestimating by a long shot... (the dashpad on my red z34 was about 17lbs, then add in the speakers, gauges, glovebox, ashtray, all HVAC controls, lights, electronics...)

I can't really quote you on the engine weight, or tranny, but keep in mind that is a big ass heavy auto you have. Heater cores add alot of weight, full cooling systems as well. A full radiotor, heater core, and so on get heavy. An engine with a full oil pan, and a tranny with full trans fluid also add a substantial weight. 1 gallon ~ 5lbs.

theres more but I'm on the phone

Theres no way the rear seat weights close to 40 lbs. Maybe 20 tops. I've had that thing in and out several times.

Fronts, I'm saying about 30-35, including the power motor.

Dash, excluding the electronics and stuff, the full dash only weighs about 5-10 lbs. The electronics are the things that add the weight to it. Hell, if someone local has a scale, I'll throw the extra dash I have on the scale just to weigh it just to do it.

Center console, you mean the plastic thing, or are you including the shifter assembly as well? If just the plastic, maybe 7 lbs, including the shifter would put it closer to 35 lbs.

doesn't seem as heavy because of the balance of the weight...

And then I remebered you have rear buckets...

yes, I'm trying to include what would be in the vehical. all components running, and so on...

My Z34 doesn't have rear buckets, just has a bench.

I think i'm going to give Katie a call and borrow her scale, just to start weighing things in. :lol:

My Z34 doesn't have rear buckets, just has a bench.

I think i'm going to give Katie a call and borrow her scale, just to start weighing things in. :lol:

I thought you had rear leather buckets??

engine weight: Dry, empty 3.1L block is like 110 lbs. Add crank, rods, pistons, now we're near 180, add 20lbs/cyl head, near 220. Rest of crap on motor pushes it over 300lbs, for a 3.1L. DOHC is obviously heavier. 5spd tranny is about 80-100 lbs, auto is like 140-150, I think.

Guest TurboSedan

282 is around 100lbs, but the 284 is closer to 150. automatic is probably pushing 200lbs.

all underhood AC components i would say 40lbs tops, probably closer to 30lbs.

The 284 is about 150 wet and I would guess the auto is about 200 wet also.

I don't feel like typing and chris I'll tell you tommorow about how to loose wieght on these cars. :lol:

The 284 is about 150 wet and I would guess the auto is about 200 wet also.

I don't feel like typing and chris I'll tell you tommorow about how to loose wieght on these cars. :lol:

Chris doesn't weigh as much as you do, so I don't think "getting out of the car" would work for him.

:joke:

doesn't the AC unit weigh tons?

I believe there was a discussion on this before and it was figured that the entire AC assembly was a max of like 30 lbs. Can't remember what thread it was.

Ok, so I went to the Dollar General and bought a scale.

An empty lumina dash weighs in at 18 lbs. That does not include the hvac controls, the cluster, glovebox, or any wires. It does include the astray assembly, the upper dash pad, and the metal brackets that the actual padding holds itself onto.

A lumina trunk lid, without the Z34 spoiler, and no truck popper or key lock weighs in at 26 lbs.

A w-body spare tire weighs 27 lbs, and the jack that comes with the car weighs in at 4 lbs.

Yes, I'm bored, but these cars are pigs, and I'm putting mine on a diet. Once I get back later on tonight, i'll take out my seats (fronts and rear) and weigh them in.

Anything else you guys want me to weigh?

.......at least you have really lightweight rims......

I sense...

sarcasm.

:lol:

actually I was being serious....having unnecessary rotational weight sucks, those Enkeis are very light for 17s