More on the 89 radio....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, im getting more parts coming for the conversion. I will be putting the deluxe 3-piece radio setup with digital equalizer in the 92...

What I have, or is on the way:

- Radio/Clock unit

- Cassette/EQ unit

- HU/Amp for behind the glovebox

- Wiring harness: 4 plugs

- Dash Bezel/trim

Do I need anything else? i may fabricate brackets so i dont need to allegeldy swap the entire dash. I'm not sure if the wiring harness no1kicker sent me is for the SWRC or not... It has four plugs, one white and one black plug are mated together, and then there is a smaller white plug with another black plug (individual), and all this goes into a mass of tape with a wide divided black plug on the other end. Where does that go?

One of the wires is a thick cable inside a clear tube.

ALSO:

The current HU/amp thing in my car is for the current 5 or 7 band EQ already in my car... can I leave that as it exists?

sorry if i'm being anal, but I dont want to be guessing when I open up the dash...

I think after '90 or so, the head unit and display and amp were all one piece, so you don't have anything but that one head unit. It'll be interesting to see how you pull this off.

Guest Anonymous

well, my car has some sort of amp thing located under the dash. I don't know if that thing is vital, useful, or junk. I'm totally winging this, i know nothing about stereo setups, and im hoping for the best. :?

any idea on how i am gonna hook all this crap up?

Well, you'll need to obtain the in-between harness that comes out the other side of the amp, and goes to the clock piece and the EQ/Cassette piece. Then you'll need to find a place to mount said pieces.

Guest Anonymous

I (think) I have the said harness, becuase no1kicker sent me the guts of the EQ piece as well and it only has two plugs for it, and two of the plugs match up to it.

I'm sorry if i'm looking like an idiot, but i'm :?: :?: :?: here.

Wish I could help...

The stereo in my 88 was sure a piece of work.. damn wires everywhere. One thing I do know is that I believe they had to extend the wires from the harness to the (aftermarket) HU when they installed it (free installation on my Kenwood at the time). With 6 speakers all all that shit there are just too many wires! Pluggin in my Kenwood into the 95 was a friggen breeze!

Here's some of the info you requested.

This is my '89 with the trim bezel removed. Sorry it doesn't have the cassette unit. Note that the radio control head has BASS & TREB buttons. A control head that goes with the cassette/EQ unit will have LOUD & DNR buttons instead.

89Components.jpg

Here it is with the radio control head & the compartment removed. The radio control head screws to the metal clips at the top in the dash. The bottom back of the control head has 2 tabs with metal clips that snap into the 2 slots seen at the bottom in the dash. The compartment is held in place by the 2 screws at it's bottom that fit into the 2 slots along the edge of the dash; also, there are 2 posts at the back of the compartment that fit into the 2 holes at the back of the dash opening. I'm assuming the cassette unit uses those mounting points (maybe somebody can verify). In my car, there are 2 plugs for the radio control head. A car with the cassette unit will have 3 plugs for the control head & 2 more plugs for the cassette unit.

89Mounting.jpg

The following stuff is all based on info in the '89 & '91 Grand Prix shop manuals. They are very good, but not always 100% accurate. I tried to simplify the wiring schematics. Hopefully you're able to read them.

From the '89 manual:

"Radio" refers to the radio receiver/amp mounted behind the glove box. "C1", "C2", etc., refer to the connectors. "C1" on one component is not necessarily the same "C1" on another. Each connector has the pins numbered. I labeled each wire with it's circuit # and color like the shop manual does. I've included a list of the circuit #'s at the end. In the diagram, I wasn't sure what color circuit 371 was. Its a ground/sheild for the audio output of the cassette unit. Maybe that is the wire you spoke of that's in the clear tube (just guessing).

89RadioDiagram2.gif

Here's were the manual made a mistake. Below, the connectors labeled C3 should actually be labeled C2. I'm guessing C3 should be the same as the C3 in the '91 radio connectors diagram below. (these show the view of the connector face) (I'm not sure if the one labeled C2 is part of the radio stuff at all)

89RadioConnectors5.gif

89RadioConnectors6.gif

From the '91 manual:

Now, "radio" is the single receiver/amp/cassette deck/EQ 1.5 DIN unit.

91RadioDiagram3.gif

Radio Connectors:

91RadioConnectors2.gif

By comparing the diagrams, you can see that 2 of your existing 3 radio connectors (C1 & C3) should plug right into the '88-'89 radio component (assuming that C3 is the same like said above). Your existing C2 has the 3 wires that the '88-'89 radio control head needs, but probably won't plug into it. Hopefully, you'll get the connector & pigtail with the '88-'89 control head. That way, you can splice it into the existing C2 wires (but leave your C2 connector intact so you can return to stock if need be). Other than this, you'll need the harness that goes from the '88-'89 radio to both the radio control head & cassette unit and the harness that goes from the control head to the cassette unit. You can probably now determine if that's what you have.

You were wondering about the steering wheel controls - what's neat is that there's only one wire (circuit #835) to deal with.

You mentioned that you may have the factory external amp. If so, you can leave all of that in place (everything past the speaker plugs at the back of the radio). It won't know the difference between systems. In the 2 shop manuals, the schematics for the extra amp were exactly the same.

Circuit #, description:

8, panel lamp dimming - variable voltage with lights on

9, battery voltage with lights on

43, battery voltage in ACCY or RUN

46, RR speaker

115, RR speaker

116, LR speaker

117, RF speaker

118, LF speaker

143, radio on signal - battery voltage with radio on

150, body ground

152, ground - control head to cassette

153, body ground

199, LR speaker

200, RF speaker

201, LF speaker

230, VF dimming - variable voltage with lights on

367, Left audio from cassette

368, Right audio from cassette

371, audio ground/shield from cassette to radio

372, ground from cassette to radio

606, radio mute signal from cassette to radio

607, cassette on signal from cassette to radio

640, battery voltage at all times

686, lights on signal from control head to cassette

701, data ground from radio to control head

724, VF dimming from control head to cassette

835, data line (from steering wheel controls)

Wow; I need to get to bed. Let me know if there's anything I missed.

I have no idea why you would want to put that thing in there...but sounds like quite a project.

I love aftermarket HU's myself...would just slam a nice pioneer or something in there

Guest Anonymous

I don't like the way the aftermarket's look on a dash. I think it would just ruin the look inside. This multi piece setup I like... and I think its going to look awesome at night!

Even though aftermarket does sound 10x better... I think it's cool what Ross is doing. When I first saw the 3 piece setup on my 1988 GP SE I thought it looked SO COOL! As far as sound I've heard worse..

With all the cool gadgets and lights in his RPE, I think this is a great touch.

Even though aftermarket does sound 10x better... I think it's cool what Ross is doing. When I first saw the 3 piece setup on my 1988 GP SE I thought it looked SO COOL! As far as sound I've heard worse..

yeah, i got the 1-peice Casette/EQ deck in my 1990 GP STE... a lot of new passengers in my car make the comment about all the buttons and lights in the dash, esp with the DIC, and especially at night... "oooh looks like an airplane!" haha...

yeah, i got the 1-peice Casette/EQ deck in my 1990 GP STE... a lot of new passengers in my car make the comment about all the buttons and lights in the dash, esp with the DIC, and especially at night... "oooh looks like an airplane!" haha...

I get that alot too. I junked the factory tape player in mine though...it had a loose ground wire so I got lots of alternator noise/feedback. I just swapped the CD player I had in my old 92 for the STE factory deck and put new pioneer speakers (not expensive ones) in and I am very impressed with teh set up.

• 1 month later...

I vote for this to be a 'sticky' with bluegp's awesome information that is about to prove invaluable for me.

This is my '89 with the trim bezel removed. Sorry it doesn't have the cassette unit. Note that the radio control head has BASS & TREB buttons. A control head that goes with the cassette/EQ unit will have LOUD & DNR buttons instead.

I have the cassette and bass/treb, but not loud/dnr on my 89 se. Thats the only thing I noticed.

I vote for this to be a 'sticky' with bluegp's awesome information that is about to prove invaluable for me.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad I could help.

I have the cassette and bass/treb, but not loud/dnr on my 89 se. Thats the only thing I noticed.

There were 2 different cassette units. The UM6 system's cassette unit featured 2 cassette storage slots above the play slot. The more upscale UX1 system's cassette unit had a 5-band EQ with an illuminated display. The UX1 was the only one to get the radio control head with the LOUD & DNR buttons.

Here's the UX1:

89gp.jpg

Guest Anonymous

odd this gets brought back up,

But yes, there is a ton of great info in this thread. However, i'm still having the lack of SWRC with the 89 "SE" component setup in the 92. I think bluegp and myself have run out of ideas on it, same with the digital cluster gnomes...

BlueGP has been a big help here though...jragsdale, whats goin' on in your car?

Guest Anonymous
Ground wire issues with the factory tape player 3piece, and I want the SWRC -- buying it asap.

should be easy, i went backwards with my setup, had the SWRC (92) and tried adding in the 89 setup, and the gnomes had a field day. Dood luck with it..