gp door speakers.

stockgp

does anyone else have 5.25 door speakers in their gp? i was under the impression only cutlasses got them and everything else had four by sixes. so, i've been loking for a cutlass to get them and the door pods from. however when i went to the bone yard the other day, i got in a 96 gp and it had 5.25 in pods where the four by sixes would normally go. this works out great. now i don't have to worry about any fitment problems when i get new door panels and i don't have to fab anything to makle the speaker pods fit.

btw, i wasn't sure if this should be in the audio section being that the question is about gps not just speakers. but mods feel free to move if you like. :wink:

My old 95 GP coupe had 5 1/4's in the doors. They were in a real stupid location if you ask me (I kept hitting my knee up against the "pod" :lol: .)

I had a door apart on a 90 GP coupe in the boneyard, and although the door panels looked similar to the 94-96's at first glance, they were actually a tad bit different (the 4X6 speaker "pod" seemed a bit smaller than the 95's 5 1/4 "pod") so I don't know if you'd be able to fit the newer pod behind an older GP's door panel...

I had a door apart on a 90 GP coupe in the boneyard, and although the door panels looked similar to the 94-96's at first glance, they were actually a tad bit different (the 4X6 speaker "pod" seemed a bit smaller than the 95's 5 1/4 "pod") so I don't know if you'd be able to fit the newer pod behind an older GP's door panel...

i'll be using newer gp door panels. i want to buy some from a member here, but i need to scrape up the cash.

The revised interiors got 5.25" speakers.

i did'nt know that. i thought it was just a cutlass thing. :shrug:

My old 95 GP coupe had 5 1/4's in the doors. They were in a real stupid location if you ask me (I kept hitting my knee up against the "pod" :lol: .)

:werd:

what's so weird about it? it looks to be in the same spot as the 4x6s in my 90.
It's goofy compared to where the door speakers are normally mounted in most GM's of the last 15 years.

Here's what I'd consider the "normal" location:

rtdoor1.jpg

Down low in the corner of the door, where they should be. The GP's speakers are directly underneath the door handle, and I find that location very odd...

Down low in the corner of the door, where they should be. The GP's speakers are directly underneath the door handle, and I find that location very odd...

I hate it, because I can't crank my music, the high end hurts my ears with the speaker up that high, it's right in my line of hearing.

Guest Anonymous

I hate the door speakers on the GP's. My knee/leg is always smashing into it... and the damn DIC is too close on the other side. I felt my 95 had more room for some reason.

Ok, back on topic.... /end thread hijack/ :oops:

Yeah, down low is better. It makes the speakers more equidistant to the listener for better imaging down there. The GP's speaker location never made sense.

• 1 year later...

So the 94' GP Sedan has 4x6's?

One side of the whole car isnt working so I am gonna rewire the whole thing. =\

Yes,welltheyshouldatleast(our-keyboard-at-broke-so-i-have-no-space-bar)

Shocktherapy and i managed to fit bose door speakers out of a 2007 nissan maxima into my door panels. Im not quite sure what size they are... I will say that it was quite an adventure getting them in there. They sound infinitely better than the stock ones. i managed to swipe the tweaters out of the same car but, i have yet to figure out how to encorporate those into my doors. I also tried to grab the 6 by 9s but after two minutes of trying to get them out i gave up... i really wish i wouldnt have tho

Alright, lemme update my post from above.

IIRC, 94's had 4x6's, but 95-96 had 5.25's. I've stuffed 5.25's into my old GP's 4x6 opening with not much of a problem. If they don't fit, make a bracket.

Yea my 96 had 5.25s from the factory, but i was able to squeeze 6.5s in there though. I agree with the stupid speaker placement. Usually if i have someone in the pass seat their knee blocks out alot of the sound from that sound. But anything is better than the 4x6 dash speakers i had in my lumina! Of even worse the 3.5s that were in the dash of my 91 cavalier, talk about pointless!!

Yea my 96 had 5.25s from the factory, but i was able to squeeze 6.5s in there though. I agree with the stupid speaker placement. Usually if i have someone in the pass seat their knee blocks out alot of the sound from that sound. But anything is better than the 4x6 dash speakers i had in my lumina! Of even worse the 3.5s that were in the dash of my 91 cavalier, talk about pointless!!

Eh, i actually liked the dash speakers in my '92, much better than the speakers at the knees. When i'm just riding in the car myself, when i'm relaxed, i don't hear shit out of my driver side speaker, it's all highs from the pass side. And when there's someone else in the car, i just can't hear shit from the front. The dash speakers were up further and aimed against the dash so the sounds kinda opened up, IMO sounded better than the door speakers!

thats why you stick the tweets in the dash and the mids in the doors. higher freq. sounds travel direct and mids blend in the surround more. they just need to be somewheres close to the placement of the tweets so the sub dont drown it out too much.

• 4 months later...

My 94 GP coupe has 5.25's in the doors. I just need to take apart the interior door panel and re-cover the grills. the Passenger side hase several small tears in it and the Driver side has on larger tear towards the bottom of the fabric covered area.

• 4 weeks later...

My 94 GTP has 5.25's... if you really dont like the speaker location just mount the tweeter up in the pillar, where it will sound much better. Like someone said earlier, the highs is what is really noticeable, mids and below get less and less directional. Drill a hole into your plastic pillar and mount a tweeter up there it will sound much better.

fine, enjoy the look of drilled up interior pieces.

go ahead and ruin the resale value. :wink:

Yeah because my 1994 Grand Prix will have a huge resale value when I get done with it in about 3 years :rolleyes: