Bye Bye Buick

91GranSport

Guest RedCutlassSL

Why must we flame the Focus? My fiancee drives one, its very comfortable and handles well. Plus, I know it will keep her and our baby safe in case of a crash. I hate Ford just as much as the next guy, but who cares if a car can withstand a crash. I just care that the people we love inside make it

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• 91GranSport

• toastemcutlass

• Brian P

Why must we flame the Focus? My fiancee drives one, its very comfortable and handles well. Plus, I know it will keep her and our baby safe in case of a crash. I hate Ford just as much as the next guy, but who cares if a car can withstand a crash. I just care that the people we love inside make it

Ummmm... if you care that the people inside the car make it, then wouldn't you also care how well the car they drive withstands a crash? :confused:

FYI, Ford Focus does ok in a crash.

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/00025.htm

I see you had a very bad experience. I hate the coffin as I call them seats, but I had the salon with the sweet bucket seats and as for the handeling the springs were shot, I had the bigger dia roll bar cuz of the salon package and the springs i had lifts in to make the rear raised 2 inch or so and that made it pretty stiff and the hoosier street tires I swear on my life I could take a 90 degree street coner @ 60mpg with just a little chip from the tires the car was actually the best handling car I drove in a long time but its not stock (also had little to no body roll, I could gun the wheel and I looked like the cameros)

about the lincoln its my parents old car, I grew up on lincolns and hate them they are what I call boxy and handle like a boat but if you want a car that will last forever. my dads 90 has 245g's on it and doesnt burn oil just leaks it like crazy, but it can still toast the tires and thats not bad

Guest RedCutlassSL

Ummmm... if you care that the people inside the car make it, then wouldn't you also care how well the car they drive withstands a crash? :confused:

]

Because a car can be replaced. My baby and my girl can't.

I see you had a very bad experience. I hate the coffin as I call them seats, but I had the salon with the sweet bucket seats and as for the handeling the springs were shot, I had the bigger dia roll bar cuz of the salon package and the springs i had lifts in to make the rear raised 2 inch or so and that made it pretty stiff and the hoosier street tires I swear on my life I could take a 90 degree street coner @ 60mpg with just a little chip from the tires the car was actually the best handling car I drove in a long time but its not stock (also had little to no body roll, I could gun the wheel and I looked like the cameros)

Well, not so much a bad experience as I just don't like how they look.

There's nothing about a boxy car's appearance that appeals to me. I don't have a problem if you like G-bodies, boxy cars, or square edges, but I don't want to have anything to do with it.

Because a car can be replaced. My baby and my girl can't.

Uh yeah, that's exactly why you want a crashworthy car.

A car that does well in a crash test will protect its occupants in a crash.

A car that does terrible will be likely to cause injury or death.

NHTSA doesn't set crash safety standards out of boredom. Car companies and the IIHS don't crash cars for the fun of it.

You said:

I hate Ford just as much as the next guy, but who cares if a car can withstand a crash.

It sounded like you don't care how well a car withstands a crash.

I think iknow what he's getting at. Our cars will WITHSTAND a crash, very well in fact (ive had this tested in more than several applications with my old GP :roll: :? ) but thats more likeley to kill you than save you. You get in an accident with these cars it will come out in terms of cosmetics better than any car that ive seen hit something, but thats whats going to kill you. cars that have crumple zones and those multi-stage airbags are what soften the blow and give you a better chance. The mercedes SUV was actually designed so that the front bumper is as close to the same height as a cars front bumper as possible. The beetle has the highest saftey rating of small AND misize class because of its incredibly round design (thats not to say i like it) which is why VW/audi have incorperated that design into almost all of their cars

What I meant by "withstand" is the safety cage and main structure of the car remains intact with minimal deformation and intrusion.

Usually the front and rear ends can crumple to absorb impact, but you always want the safety cage to remain intact. Which is one reason why I think G-bodies aren't built well, the roof (part of the safety cage) collapses down to the seats in a "roof crush test" (gov't standard FMVSS 216). The G-body wrecks I've seen, it looks like the "safety cage" doesn't hold up any better than the rest of it.

BTW, W-bodies have pretty good crumple zones. 4dr probably better than the 2dr due to less distance between the A and B pillars.