Bye Bye Buick

91GranSport

I have heard that GM's planning to scrap Buick. Obviously they won't go ahead with their concept roadster or SUV, and their Regal "GNX" won't be built either. They say that Buick's not bringing in as much money as they expect and sales are slow. That's too bad. They kill Olds and now they're going to kill Buick. Soon enough it'll be like Ford, having basically Ford, Mercury and Lincoln. GM will probably only end up with Chevy, Cadillac and Pontiac. Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• 91GranSport

• toastemcutlass

• Brian P

Guest Anonymous

I heard Buick was giving it one more year. If sales didn't meet thir expectations, gone. I also agree with you on them wanting Chevy, Caddy, and Pontiac.

You are forgetting about Saturn that is doing pretty good, and i also hear that GM will stop SAAB in US since sales are bad too, so then GM wont have a real variety of cars.

Buick is a well-known brand name in China. GM-Shanghai builds and sells Chinese versions of the Regal and Century, also a Buick version of the Chevrolet Venture minivan, and a small car based on an Opel. If they phase out Buick in the US, its possible GM would keep the name for China.

phasing out buick means GM better expend on what they have, such as affordable more stripped Cadillacs (Got to fill in the void when you kill the Century, and the CTS isn't going to attract that group of people), more luxurious/wider choice of Chevrolets, Pontiac is pretty well off except they really need to scrap that Vibe! Kill saturn, we don't need more cars in the US with the gage cluster in the center of the dash (assholes). Saab isn't selling, that is true. I wouldn't miss them.

I think that the new Saturn is pretty cool looking and not a bad car that i wouldnt buy but the dash in the middle remainds me of another Echo that i think is the ugliest cars on the road.

Echo lol, that instrument panel in the middle of the dash is hard to get used to. I was given one as a rental, I used it for 1 day and had to bring it back, did not like it at all.

I hope we don't see the end of Buick, that would suck, not to mention where I work is a Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealership, I like working on the Buick cars.

Echo lol, that instrument panel in the middle of the dash is hard to get used to. I was given one as a rental, I used it for 1 day and had to bring it back, did not like it at all.

I hope we don't see the end of Buick, that would suck, not to mention where I work is a Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealership, I like working on the Buick cars.

Now you know why I want saturn killed LOL....their smaller (not the L but the ___) has the center gage cluster!

Now you know why I want saturn killed LOL....their smaller (not the L but the ___) has the center gage cluster!

Saturn Ion..............center cluster - what is the point? stupid echo, stupid ion

Scrap the buick. That sucks. Really, they will look back at this, and be all mad. With all the history these lines have, just scrap them since they are not making as much money right now in this econ problem. Seriously, for one, maybe make the cars look differeent. to me, most of buicks modern lineup looks all the same, just different sizes.

That would Totttally suck

What we need is re-issues of classic cars. Re do the GN. Re do the 442. Give us real american cars again

Jon

I agree with God of Thunder. American cars, even Ford and Chrysler, have an identity crisis. They're just cookie cutter cars. GM has to build cars with character. I think the only cars they have at the moment that actually have character would be the Corvette and the Seville.

If you look, it seems that they are trying to make a comeback, you know witht the GTO from GM, then the Charger and 300N from chrysler.

I see it this way. If a buyer wants a cheap econo car, send them to Jap stuff, or make like one or two FWD econo cars in america. IF somene wants a real car, buy american.

I just cant believe GM scrathing another amazing brand. Immagine, in 5 yrs, they will be like "Oh shit, we should have never got rid of olds and buick (possibly).". Then they will scap pontiac caus all their cars look the same, and fall in on themselves!

Jon

I believe it. When this discussion first came around 2yrs ago or so, a few people predicted Buick would be axed after Oldsmobile. Several disagreed, but I figured it would happen.

Not very many people drive Buicks.

In fact, not that many people drive cars anymore. When I really look around for cars less than a year old, I see just a handful. I STILL haven't seen a Cadillac CTS on the road yet, and it's been out awhile. However, I've been seeing those ugly new 03 Silverado's all over the place. New Explorers, Expeditions, Escalades... all the fullsize pickups and SUV's are everywhere. Maybe it's just the region I live in, but if you look at resale value, it sort of reinforces my opinion that trucks and SUV's are the only vehicles that really sell these days.

Only way to save Buick is if they start building fullsize pickups and SUV's.

Believe it or not, I've received more compliments from strangers in 9-months on my base-model '99 Silverado (no power locks, windows, or anything) than I ever got on my Cutlass, TGP, and Cutlass convertible combined. I even saw on the news last week that they say "soccer moms" are trading in the minivan and SUV in favor of the current 4-dr fullsize pickups with the miniature 5-ft bed.

New Explorers, Expeditions, Escalades... all the fullsize pickups and SUV's are everywhere.

dont forget the mecredes, bmws and lexuses. it's all about status quo.. you are what you drive. drive anything else, you're poor.

even when i see senior citizens drivin' centurys around here, i wonder why they couldnt afford a bmw. even I... have fallen victim to america's pathetic societial views.

think about it what does each of the GM brand reflect?

Pontiac - excitement, sporty, fast

Cadillac - big, powerful, luxurious

Chevy - family, aspiring

where does Buick fit in? affordable senior citizen cars? (disclaimer: i'm referring to 03 models, not w-bodies). i dont see any big market that buick's capable of filling. if anything, cadillacs have the best shot at competing against those imports.

New Explorers, Expeditions, Escalades... all the fullsize pickups and SUV's are everywhere.

dont forget the mecredes, bmws and lexuses. it's all about status quo.. you are what you drive. drive anything else, you're poor.

even when i see senior citizens drivin' centurys around here, i wonder why they couldnt afford a bmw. even I... have fallen victim to america's pathetic societial views.

think about it what does each of the GM brand reflect?

Pontiac - excitement, sporty, fast

Cadillac - big, powerful, luxurious

Chevy - family, aspiring

where does Buick fit in? affordable senior citizen cars? (disclaimer: i'm referring to 03 models, not w-bodies). i dont see any big market that buick's capable of filling. if anything, cadillacs have the best shot at competing against those imports.

Buick can very easily be considered "affordable luxury" or "traditional cars" (not all sporty, or all excitement) just a comfortable road cruising car that you can enjoy. I'll go for that!

That would be a bummer-I always like the ride of those Buick Centuries. When I went thru my recyclable car era, that's what I bought. Always could find a Century with around 100K for a Grand. I'd buy it, fix it, drive it for a year and then sell it for 700 or so. Best one I had had the 3.8 in it, boy would that thing shit and git! Unfortunately, that one got crashed after ingesting too many attitude adjusting substances.

Another bonehead move by GM. No wonder the wonderful folks that brought us Pearl Harbor are kicking our asses!

I agree with Godofthunder....bring back the GS's and 442s and the GNX's!

but at what price? GM already charges over 33k for a Bonneville, an Impala can go up to 26k, the GTO will be in the 32k range? GM really needs to make an affordable RWD car, if it's V6 then so be it. There was a pair with the F bodies, now that it's gone there's nothing. GM just needs 1 RWD chassis and they can build plenty of cars on it. Heck, use the GTO platform and make a V6 model, a couple of 4 door V8 models for Police use and to combat the Marauder. They could build the next gen Bonneville and Impala on it. Supposedly the next Monte will be a RWD, whether it will be structurally similar to the GTO, I don't know. But as it stands, if GM were to ever make cars like the 442, GNX, GS, etc and be able to stand up to that kind of heritage, GM has to make 2 door cars again. They have three right now. The J bodies, Vette and the Monte.

Yeah, but the reason GM is commanding such high prices on such cars as the GTO, is because they're specialty cars. RWD cars in general are specialty cars that would sell in very low numbers, so GM has to charge high prices to maintain an acceptable profit margin on them. Consumers today do not want to buy RWD cars. They don't want to buy a car that they can't drive in the snow without loading the trunk full of sandbags.

RWD cars won't save Buick no matter how many enthusiasts would buy them, because enthusiasts are a minority. There is currently no F-body because its sales were so poor that it doesn't hurt GM at all not to have anything comparable in that market segment.

IMO it doesnt matter if the car is hertiage, speciality or RWD -- people have to *like* driving them, to be seen in them. it has to be FUN. badging them with former cars' names (GTO) may help some, but isnt the only reason they're gonna buy 'em.

GM cars have lacked in this area for long enough. thats why i brought attention to the XLR. now that's a car many executives are gonna wanna been seen in. lets hope its the sign of things to come..

Well, they could totally redesign a big RWD high horsepower machine like that Ford 427. I'm not a Ford guy, but that motor is impresssive. I think the car's style is a bit more angular than I'd like, but I like the grille.

Maybe that's what else the didn't like about Buick. No angles.

Have you guys seen that Ford 427 at all and what do you think?