Hex key (AllenHead) on front strut:update

Lee

Well, it looks like my strut tower cap is now my strut mount. Mount must be broken.

If you sit on the car, compressing the spring, you can push the whole shaft/nut assembly down about 3/4". When you get up the spring comes up lifting the shaft. If you pull up on the fender it pulls the shaft up, then when the car settles, the shaft stays up....until you push it back down. Being poor and the car not being worthy enough to sink big money into......I put a washer over the nut......a thick piece of rubber over that....and a small piece of squooshy black foam rubber over that....sat on the fender and bolted the strut tower cover back on. For now.....no more clunk, no more shimmy at speed.

I am the master of the cheap fix.....however temporary. Cross your fingers guys. I need all the positive power I can get. I need another year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I have a clunk in the passenger strut. I took the covers off and there is about 1/2" of play under the 15/16th or 1" nut.

Is there something I need to do with that allen head hex on top of the shaft before I try to tighten the big nut? Is it a righty tighty nut?

I see (from search) that I may get away with adding a couple washers if I take the nut off.

My stock original strut is basicly worn out but the car is now in run and wear, not repair mode.

Thanks, Lee