help with freeway shudder!

streetdreams

I jus got my 88 GP SE coupe back on the road after a year of inactivity. I got the safety done and the only problems that came up were a bad drivers ball joint (alot of movment) and a flasher bulb and/or signal switch. I havent done these repairs yet and I notice when cruising down the road at 85-130km/hr 55-67mph if I take my foot off the accelerator or most of the way off somtimes a shudder will come over the vehicle from the powertrain/front end, I feel it could be tranny as it stops if I accelerate some more or I was wondering if that drivers wheel moving left and right could be shuddering from the loose balljoint? any experience with somthin like this?

the wheel has maybe 5mm of sway in it left to right. any advice or experience? its a 2.8 auto btw

BTY be careful because that Ball joint can give out and it really messes up the car if it does.

or kill you too :shock:

It's most 99% liklely your balljoint, since you know it's bad, and your car is also out of alignment. Replace the balljoint and any other worn out suspension and get an alignment done and it should be fine. Only other *common* things could be a bad tire/needs balancing..

Z34 that engine is PHAT!, yeah I talked with a couple front end guys today from my shop and previous and they all agree FIX THAT JOINT! before you second guess any further. hey when you said it could mess up the front large did you mean when/if it pops outta joint/snaps or just in general from driving on a worn balljoint???

tomorrows my day off and I'm gonna replace the Balljoint with some whitebox stuff, I've heard a few bad comments from previous buyers but 2 front end techs told me theyre fine if you keep them greased every month or so, sides I aint got the 70 Cdn right now shit I'm doin the 30 dollar part on credit! lol. anyways gonna try that tomorrow, + free up the e brake (dont move at all) and see what the hell is causin that metal ching-a-ling sound around my R/R wheel

White box stuff is okay... I used it on my old car. Sometimes you'll get lucky and they'll last a while. Besides, you never know what an old car will take a final dump on you so it's often makes more sense to be on a budget.

C-BAD ya that was my reasoning, I put in the balljoint yesterday and the car feels alot more saturdy BUT the vibration at 2200rpm is still there, with the bad joint the whole front end shuddered hardcore, but now its just a thick vibration. I think it could possibly be those cv shafts but I'm gonna throw it on a hoist today and see if I can simulate it under the eye of a few tech's. my mom told me "4 years ago (10,000km's ago) she had the tranny rebuilt for 1000bucks" but when I look at the fluid its a bit dark/dirty I wasnt gonna do a tranny service at 265,000kms but now I'm thinking about it if it is a rebuilt

is there anyway to tell from the outside??? I'm gonna try to look at all the outside bolts to see if any look used