Lumina problem...

Strecker25

well just recently ive started to notice that both as i come to a stop and the car rocks, and as i hit the gas to accelerate i get a decently loud "clunk" sound coming from the front end of the car. I have no idea what this noise is associated with, any ideas?

its a 94 lumina with the 3.1l and 4t60-e

i know this isnt very specific info, but im really stumped here...appears to be a suspension issue, but im not sure

the cradle is the frame under the front of the car and four bolts hold it up you most likely have broken ones and there is a recall on them. or it could be strut related

It could be a sign of worn struts or strut mounts, worn balljoint, control arm bushings, swaybar endlink bushings, the list goes on and on :wink: ...

It could be a sign of worn struts or strut mounts, worn balljoint, control arm bushings, swaybar endlink bushings, the list goes on and on :wink: ...

yea so i figured there were 100s of possibilites, does it narrow it down if i also notice it happends everytime if i let the brake out quickly, and i can get a slight clunk when rocking the car while its in park?

Open your hood and rock the car back and forth in park. Check the dogbone motor mounts that attach the top of your motor to the radiator support. If there's a lot of play and you can see the rubber is shot, get new mounts.

ok it is DEFINETLY the upper mounts, theyre shot...my dad rocked the car and the engine moves a good 1-2 inces back and forth at least and i can see where the right side rubber bushing has shifted at least a 1/4"

my question now is, at least until i have spare cash can i get a set of just urethane or replacement rubber bushings instead of buying the full mount? pep boys wants 70$ each for the whole assembly.