Birthday comin up. Thinking Subs and amp

HokemBokem

Well my birthday is coming up soon (April 16th) and my rents keep asking me what I want. I had no clue and now am thinking some subs and an amp. Now before we begin im an audio idiot. Ive helped my cousin install subs in his Integra last summer but didnt learn to much.

My main problem is choosing an amp. I always find subs I want and can never tell what kind of amp I need. They always have like 3 different ratings and briged and all that shit.

I wanted to get 2 10's and an amp to push them to their limits and all the wiring. So ill be posting up some random subs and shit and It would really help if you guys could help me pick out an amp according to the subs.

Thanks in advance.

i disagree with slick. i had that exact set of 10's nd had them firing into a 1cuft box each and had them running on a shitty legacy 600 watt amp and they pounded. audiobahn is of but to start out with but save up the money and go with jl

Ask anyone who is really into car audio, or spends there life in the car audio world. Audiobahn is crap. They sound like ass. The only good thing about them is that they are cheap. Yes, they can get loud, but look how much it takes to get them loud. Very inefficient subwoofers....

JL Audio for subs, and Kicker for amps are my brands of choice

but for $300 you ain't gonna get much, at least not from a retailer, maybe ebay though

If you have to have 2 10's for that price, i'd say 2 4ohm JL Audio W0 subs and a Kicker ZR series amp. the Zr240 would be way too much power, so i might recommend a ZR120 w/ the SWX crossover module (rated at 120watts, actual power output more like 200+ watts :willynilly:)

Or a new KX 150 w/ 2 8ohm W0s

Don't be fooled by the low power ratings, I set a state record with 5 W0s and a "300watt" Kicker amp (152db in my cousins S10 Blazer, we guessed it was almost 160db when it was in my Accord), JL Audio subs take little power to be loud, and kicker amps are way underrated

Of course that's just my personal opinion, i don't expect everybody to like it :D It's just a combo that worked for me in the past.

hmm my cousin has been working in the car audio field for voer 10 years and he seems to think audio bahn is decent stuff, i have them in my Lumina and one in my trailblazer and i seem to like them. Any sub can sound decent if it is powered with the right power from a good amp.

I was at Circuit city the other day and they had like package deals for around 300 bucks. They came with either 2 pioneer 10's or you could get MTX ones or some shit. Each came with a box and amp. HAve you guys ever heard anything about Pioneer subs and amp?

I have ONE Pioneer Premier 12" sub rated at 500w RMS connected to my Kenwood 800w amp (460w watts bridged) more than enough power going to the sub and the sub sounds great. If you got the money, sure go for the stuff those guys are talking about, otherwise check out a stereo shop.. I like Rockford Fosgate subs when I heard them but I got my Pioneer cause it was clearance.

Cheaper subs:

MTX, RF, Pioneer, higher end Kenwood

For cheaper amp Kenwood, MTX, Pioneer is good too.

I have ONE Pioneer Premier 12" sub rated at 500w RMS connected to my Kenwood 800w amp (460w watts bridged) more than enough power going to the sub and the sub sounds great. If you got the money, sure go for the stuff those guys are talking about, otherwise check out a stereo shop.. I like Rockford Fosgate subs when I heard them but I got my Pioneer cause it was clearance.

Cheaper subs:

MTX, RF, Pioneer, higher end Kenwood

For cheaper amp Kenwood, MTX, Pioneer is good too.

Yea I forgot they had a lot of Rockford Fosgate deals too. So do you guys think I should just go with one of these package deals, or order my shit seperatly off ebay. What sucks about ebay though is with all that shit shipped seperatly it gets very expensive.

I know at Best Buy they sometimes have a sub/amp combo for good prices. Granted, sometimes it's Sony Xplode but if it were all RF stuff I'd go for it..

just get an amp with high power inputs(if you have and want to keep steering wheel controls.) and new speakers :roll: that is what i did and i'm much happier now if you want to know where i got my speakers from pm me.

A new headunit I'd get way before getting aftermarket speakers. That's the first thing I'd buy. Sometimes the stock speakers are adequate.. I think he just wants more bass.

i just said to get new speakers and a AMP that way his speakers don't get distortion like the factory ones have. but honestly its up to him its not your car or mine so we don't have final say in this matter :?

Yea I already have new 6 x 9's in the back and I dont want fron tones just yet. I just want 2 12's or 10's that hit pretty good for cheap.

I would recommend 2 - 11Kv.2's, and maybe a nine.2 from eD for ~ $380 shipped and you can pound until your hearts content :o

I would probably even just go with a single ported twelve. It'll save you money and the output would be pretty close to 2-10's.

http://www.edesignaudio.com

You wont find much better for the price.

I have 2 sony explode 12'' and a 1200 watt sony amp and I love the way it sounds and it has more than enough thump for me. I can shake the windows in my house and my neighbors from a block or two away. I got mine from crutchfield and they threw in the wiring kit and all the install directions. I paid about $325 for the entire setup. only thing i didnt get was the boxes. I built them myself it cost me about $50 at the local hardware store to get everything and about 2 hours in the garage to build them. Anyways I would suggest checking out http://www.crutchfield.com they always have some kind of sale going on and they have never treated me bad and i have bought my entire stereo setup from them for my last 4 cars.

X2 on the eD subs, also look into Resonant Engineering's RE or SX line of subs, Adire Audio, or ebay for some Kicker CompVR's (look at the old models) or grab yourself a single L5 or L7 on a profile or hifonics amp and build a nice box tuned around 35hz or so and you will astonish yourself on how loud 300 can really get you, granted you can do basic carpentry skills and the box is correctly designed.

I got my eD 16Ov.2 put in today in a sealed enclosure and Holy Sh*T does it sound good! I've got to use sound deadener on my dash now because it vibrates so much...LOL :D