How Would I Hook Up My Amp!?

terryk2003

ok...i'm thinkin about getting an amp to power my component speakers in my car...BUT, here's the question...my HU has seperate inputs to control the front & rear speakers...so, i have 3 sets of RCA's...i want 1 amp to power the front & rear...is there a way to hook up one amp with seperate front/rear inputs (so they can be adjusted seperatly from the HU)?...basically 2 sets of rca's would have to go into the amp...i'm a dumbass and have no clue if they make amps like that...the only one's i've ever seen only have one set of rca inputs...any help would be nice...thanx...

you can do this. You need to get a 4-channel amp.

look for one with a built in crossover too, this will come in handy when you are tweaking the sound. mostly all amps have one now anyways.

ok...kewl...i was kinda thinkin that a 4 channel amp would allow that but i wasnt sure...also, the infinity kappa components i'm getting come with crossovers...

so, any recommendations on a good amp!?...i wanna power my rear 6x9's which 110W RMS 330 PEAK and the front 5.25 components which are 85W RMS...

Well, you are gonna want to look for an amp that puts out somewhere between 90-100 watts rms per channel. a really nice amp for this job would be the rockford fosgate punch P8004. it retails for about $699.99, and you can get them on ebay for around $300-400. I'd love that amp but its too far out of my price range, so I would look at power acoustik. It is fairly cheaper, it is just as powerful and I hear very good things about them. i think there newest model in a 4 channel is ts960-4

last years model is OVH-800 , u might be able to find that for less. they retail for $199.99 and you will probably find them for less on ebay.

My last suggestion would be the Infinity Reference 7541A

This is a nice amp plus it will match the component's brand. retails for 299.99, and you can get it for around 199.99.

well, i've been thinkin (and reading a bit)...and i'm thinkin about just getting one amp that will power the rear 6x9's, then powering the fronts off my HU... :?

well, i've been thinkin (and reading a bit)...and i'm thinkin about just getting one amp that will power the rear 6x9's, then powering the fronts off my HU... :?

If you are going to power just one set of speakers off an amp...POWER YOUR FRONTS! Your Fronts are MUCH more important to have better sound coming from. You sit in the front, you might as well have as much power and better sound coming from your front speakers where you sit.

If you are going to power just one set of speakers off an amp...POWER YOUR FRONTS! Your Fronts are MUCH more important to have better sound coming from. You sit in the front, you might as well have as much power and better sound coming from your front speakers where you sit.

yeah, BUT....the rears have a higher power rating and can take more...besides, the fronts are gonna be used for the HIGHS anywayz...damn...i think i need a sub :lol:

Trust me, the rears are fine running off the stock HU. Back when i had my 88 GP I had 4x6 JBLs in the dash, MTX in the rear running off the deck, and 6.5" Infinitys in the doors powered by a seperate amp (they sounded real nice) :) I loved having all that sound coming at me from both the doors and the dash, too bad that's not really practical with this car. :|

Trust me, once you get subs in your car you will hardly be able to tell that your rear speakers are even there. Go to any pure car audio board and 99-100% of the ppl will tell you to power your front speakers. You want to power your front speakers. The rear speakers are just there for fill. Trust me on this one.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I do not even have rear speakers. If set up correctly, a good sound quality car will not need rear speakers. Mine front speakers fill the cabin nicely.

Huh? You must have rear fill to have good sound quality!! If you only have fronts and a sub you are going to be able to localize where the sound is coming from! Which means you'll hear all your highs screaming in your face, and you will be able to tell you have a big ol' sub it the trunk. In a true SQ setup you should not be able to tell where the sound is coming from, it should fill your ears from all direction.

I have been installing car audio for 11 yrs. now, if you want it done right, you need to power up the fronts and rears, your gains and fader will even the sound out to your preference. Don't forget, under-powered speakers=distortion, and if you ran a set of 300 watt 6x9's off you 30 watt rms hu, they will 4-sure be under-powered. As far as brands go, stay clear from blowing your wad on such brands as JL Audio, don't get me wrong, they are a good high end amplifier, but way over priced! I swear by MTX. Loud, clean, and a very affordable price, especially if you don't mind getting them online. For now get on Ebay and check out an MTX 564, that's what I'm currently running to my 150 watt 6x9's, a set of 100 watt 5.25's, and a set of 90 watt tweets. The amp is very efficiant, I don't have my gains up half way and the sound is perfect! It will also run a 2 ohm load for the fronts (your 5.25 and tweets will = a 2ohm load) and run the 6x9's off the rear channels @ 4 ohm. Or you could run your tweets off the head, leaving your amp running cool at a 4ohm sterio load. BTW, I'm using all MTX speakers now, except the tweeters, and they sound twice as good as my old setup-Polk Audio 6x9, and Kenwood 5.25's. Also note that all MTX specs you read will be rms, true watts. If you're wanting a little bit more bang, go for the MTX 684. Oh yea...stock sucks!!! Hope this helps.