it was the head gasket...now need a car!

godofthunder

What to do with the cutlass?  

1. 1. What to do with the cutlass?

• put it on ebay, 500 reserve
    • sell it locally...hard to do usu
    • part it out to you guys...as long as I can get a few 100.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• godofthunder

• terryk2003

• Aaron

• bartonmd

hahha

we will see bout that. I dont wanan part out a car, or scrap, a nice looking thing. It just has mechanical issues and not to good of a suspensoion.

Id prob stay around here, since it does have a 3100. I want/need to find another good forum for it, as well as i wanan know what kinda trans it has and stuff

jon

just got it back and parked in the driveway. Its so weird...caus it feels like it should just be fine...started up just good...but i know if i took it around the block it would be pegged. That, and knowing my luck, i could drive it back and forth into town just fine, and another trip it not work....

time to get the deck out of it

jon

just got it back and parked in the driveway. Its so weird...caus it feels like it should just be fine...started up just good...but i know if i took it around the block it would be pegged. That, and knowing my luck, i could drive it back and forth into town just fine, and another trip it not work....

time to get the deck out of it

jon

That was how my old Neon was. It would start up and run just fine, but you could watch the thermostat open and the temp just shoot up and peg. I drove it like that, because we were getting rid of it, and it basically quit running about halfway through. After we let the steam/smoke clear from under the hood, and let it cool down some, we drove it back home. :lol:

DUDE! WHAT KIND OF MORON ARE YOU!?!? Go to AutoZone, get a bottle of head gasket repair, put it in (it really does work, trust me!) and sell the car for the normal blue book value before it gets a chance to leak again! I've had mine plugged since October!

DUDE! WHAT KIND OF MORON ARE YOU!?!? Go to AutoZone, get a bottle of head gasket repair, put it in (it really does work, trust me!) and sell the car for the normal blue book value before it gets a chance to leak again! I've had mine plugged since October!

first of all...that was fuckin RUDE :roll: ...second of all...you could TRY that head gasket repair...my uncle has a blown head gasket in his chevy truck and he used some bar's leak head gasket shit and its been running good for the past 2 years... :lol: ...problem is, if it doesnt work, you've gunked up the insides of the engine with more shit & depending on how far from home you are you could still risk overheating the engine...and, besides that..how would you like to buy a car and find out the headgasket's blown!? :roll:

idiot...

that car is gonna have a few other problems down the road...

you only shortened the life of you car, good work, asshole... :roll:

first of all...that was fuckin RUDE :roll: ...second of all...you could TRY that head gasket repair...my uncle has a blown head gasket in his chevy truck and he used some bar's leak head gasket shit and its been running good for the past 2 years... :lol: ...problem is, if it doesnt work, you've gunked up the insides of the engine with more shit & depending on how far from home you are you could still risk overheating the engine...and, besides that..how would you like to buy a car and find out the headgasket's blown!? :roll:

That's the risk you take when you buy a used vehicle.

idiot...

So what? I'm not going to have it much longer anyway.

wow...what kinda moron am i not listening to you! Of course I should go do this! Your so right. "Thats the risk you take when buying a used car"....what...that the previous owner cheated you out of your money.

Thing is, I have this thing called ethics. Something also they tought back in the day called "The Golden Rule".

I used bars leak before on the radiator when I was having some leaking from the water pump. It didnt do anything to really help...and yes, just gunks it all up. Im putting the car on ebay now...and ill get what I can for it. Its hard to belive its doing anything with how it is. That...and the oil and coolant really hasnt started mixing yet either. Anyways...id be glad to get rid of the car...and this is an oportunity to do so.

Again, thanks for those who have talked to me and worked on stuff.

jon

idiot...

So what? I'm not going to have it much longer anyway.

if you sold me a car with a known serious problem like a headgasket that was bandaided just to sell it, i'd come to your house, and give you the biggest beat down in history till i either got my money back, or you bled out of every hole in your body. be prepared to get your ass handed to you on a plate when you sell your car to someone. some people are so unscrupulous.

Thing is, I have this thing called ethics. Something also they tought back in the day called "The Golden Rule".

glad to hear that some people still have ethics...its really not right to sell someone something with a known problem...i coudln't do it...and, jon...good luck with your new car, and i hope you can get something out of the cutlass on ebay...also, hopefully someone will fix it up and have a good car...

Yeah...if someone sold me a car with a bandaid like that...id :bash:

Ill still be around here (if they will let me ;-) ), since its still a 3100/4t60e...and i feel that I have quite a bit of knowldge on these cars to help someone out.

I cant wait for the new car. Yah..i may be taking a loss...but im ready for something else.

Though, im at the biggest loss on what to say for the auction! Im saying its a really nice car...just will need head gaskets sometime soon. Anyone that wants it bid up...and if its someone from here, ill cut em a deal if they win.

jon

i'm with pat on that one, i'd be fuckin livid if someone did that to me.

hell i'm trying to sell my euro and it has good headgaskets and heck i've been totally up front with anyone who inquires, yes it didn't run when i got it, i put tons of hours into it: this is what i replaced: it runs good now. thats just WRONG to dump stop leak in to sell a car quick.

i'm with pat on that one, i'd be fuckin livid if someone did that to me.

hell i'm trying to sell my euro and it has good headgaskets and heck i've been totally up front with anyone who inquires, yes it didn't run when i got it, i put tons of hours into it: this is what i replaced: it runs good now. thats just WRONG to dump stop leak in to sell a car quick.

me three...if ya did that to me i'd hunt you down and beat the living shit out of you.

You = Shady used car lot salesman = asshole.

hey... post up here on what your car has and what it is and how much you want for it... I might just hook up the trailer and come down there and get it, put $250 and a weekend's work in it, and either have a nice car or make some cash!!

Post up...

Mike

BTW, head gasket REALLY aren't hard... a factory GM (Helm inc) manual will literally walk you through step by step..

Also, how bad was the thing over-heated?

GAHHHH i know its not that hard...i just dont have the time, and honestly want another car anyways. Im looking, hopefully (on how the car just was) for about $750-1000. I was saying lower, but the car ias actually better off than i thought....but still needs work. I could honesltly drive it to school no problem, just it needs something.

Its weird. I just drove it ice cold for a few miles. Once it got to norm op. temp (and took a while...normal)....it was fine. Shortly thereafter, it just started climbing, all the way up.

I then went around a turn, and it went back down to cold (normal temp). But by the end of that street, it was climbing again. For the most part, it sits right in the middle of the guage.

I called my dad, and asked him why this wouldnt be a sensor. he said 1) b/c the overflow is jam full 2) he filled it up and bled it, and after coming back, he had a bunch of air still in there.

he said its exhaust leaking into the coolant. In the overfow (which is all full now), bubbles were coming up as well, and he said some little smoke somewher,e but i dont know where.... :?

Car is a series III. 3100 -4t60e. Premium sound (well, no radio, takin my Kenwood and sirius out), power everything (drivers seat too), black interior, STB, paint in really good shape, etc etc. 145k miles. tires are good. New oil change, thermostat, water pump a while back.

jon

eh... ok... If you only wanted $500 for it, I'd consider coming and getting it, but when I can get one around here for $2k (not at a dealer, but waiting for one that needs something done to it... like an intake gasket) and not have to put the 1300 miles (which is close to $500 in mileage depreciation) on my dad's truck with a trailer through the mountains and pay $75 to stay the night somewhere... eh... I'll pass, but thanks for the info...

Mike

Also, I know you don't want to do it, but for a weekend's work and what... $250 in parts... you can have a car that's worth $2k more... And you don't seem to get how easy doing a head gasket job on a pushrod engine really is... tape and mark everything as you take it apart and lay your pushrods and rockers in a row the way they came out... have the heads machined flat ($60 for both and you don't have to take the valves out), and put it back together... About the only "special" tool you'll need is a torque wrench, and I'm sure you could borrow one from your dad...

let me put it on ebay. Bid on it, unless you are going to offer more. I was setting my reserve on that, but would like ot make as much as possible to recover losses and pay for the new car...