it was the head gasket...now need a car!

godofthunder

What to do with the cutlass?  

1. 1. What to do with the cutlass?

• put it on ebay, 500 reserve
    • sell it locally...hard to do usu
    • part it out to you guys...as long as I can get a few 100.

Yup

after everything, we have come to this conclusion. I dont have the money to pay to have it repaired on this car (read - i dont want to put money in this car), and it needs an engine. Everything else is really good

So, i have a few options

1) put it on ebay, 500 reserve

2) sell it locally...hard to do usu

3) part it out to you guys...as long as I can get a few 100.

Then, its about getting a new car. I was looking at picking up a cheap Scion or Toyota, or honda, or nissan....just something with a warranty and what not. It would have to be cheap....no more than 180-200 a month, for no more than 5 years (and it has to be a car i like)

or...just buy a junker. I only have a semester left....already have jobs lined up...and get a nicer car then. But for now....get whatever I can find. I wont settle for anything....but will take all offers or anything I find (i wont be driving a ford tempo....i would shop around).

Whatever I do...i need to do it within the week.

What would yall do?! It sucks....i liked this car. Recently ive been wanting to get rid of it, but not this way. Yall guys are awsome. And please...this may sound rude...but I dont want the usual "make sure the next one is a W".

One....i like em, but ive had enough. If I can find a lumina or other cutlass cheap...i may consider it. Im also majorly looking at G bodies as well

thanks for your help...and please help me decide!

jon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• godofthunder

• terryk2003

• Aaron

• bartonmd

well, i think it'd prolly be in your best interest to try and sell it...BUT, i think you have some parts i want so, i'll tell you to part it out to US! :mrgreen: ...but, why not just get a 3400 from around $400 and fix it!?... :?

heck i wish i was closer to you, i'd buy it in a second and put new headgaskets on it.

seriously 3100 headgaskdets are prety easy to do mabie a days worth of work, i'd do it before you get rid of the car, i know a headgasket set isan't that expensive for the 3100, and may as well get new intake gaskets at the time

heck i wish i was closer to you, i'd buy it in a second and put new headgaskets on it.

seriously 3100 headgaskdets are prety easy to do mabie a days worth of work, i'd do it before you get rid of the car, i know a headgasket set isan't that expensive for the 3100, and may as well get new intake gaskets at the time

Damn if it only took a day to do and wasent that hard I would fix it. But if you dont want to do that I would say then put it on ebay.

i know the gaskets arent that bad....its the labor. That...and the engine was weearing out anyways.

As far as engines....a 3400 for $400? I wanan know where! My dad called around for a motor and he was asked $1100 for a 3100 with 88k miles! I told him no way. I read on that 3400swap.com place that they go for about 400-500....but no where around here!

Im leaning more towards ebay. That or locally. How much though do you think you can get for it though? Is $500 to much, or to low?

Lastly....anyone NEAR VA have a spare car to get rid of? I need somethign BAD

I do wanan fix it bad...but for the money and the time i have...its not possible..i was ready for something different anyways. I just need to make something off this!

jon

As far as engines....a 3400 for $400? I wanan know where!

http://www.car-part.com

Engine

Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L VIN E- 42K 42K 04154 $400 Smith's Auto Parts and Sales USA-IA(Fairfield) Request_Quote 1-800-452-1095 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine

Pontiac Grand AM 303L V6 35K 001759 $400 Auto Network, Inc. USA-IN(Fairmount) E-mail 1-765-948-3659

Engine

Pontiac Van Montana 40K MILES PULL AND CHECK 001860 $400 Auto Network, Inc. USA-IN(Fairmount) E-mail 1-765-948-3659

Engine

Pontiac Grand AM 3.3L,GT 59K 002213 $400 Auto Network, Inc. USA-IN(Fairmount) E-mail 1-765-948-3659

Engine

Pontiac Grand AM 8-99,3.4,AC,F-ATOD,G T 85K 139340 $400 Bill Smith Auto Parts USA-IL(Bloomington) E-mail 1-800-531-4684

Engine

Pontiac Grand AM 8-00,3.4,AC,F-AT,SE 44K 138048 $400 Bill Smith Auto Parts USA-IL(Bloomington) E-mail 1-800-531-4684

Gahhh.....

Thing is i cant really wait to get it shiped...lemme see if i can find something local.

Back....local...everythings $$. Its like 700 for an engine with 90K miles..this is on 3100 and 3400s. While I would like a 3400....and they are a bit closer (about 20 down the street from my GFs house...but all are $700...i dont wanna mess with switching stuff over. As far as 3100s...nothing close, or reasonable.

Theres 150k miles on the car. Other than this...and a rear suspension thats a little rough (but not bad at all)....great condition. Yall know how good ive been to this thing! And its detailed ALL THE TIME!

jon

Really dude, you are seriously considering parting out an enitre car becuz of a head gasket?

I don't even have words for how stupid that is.

Top end gasket set-$60

Coolant-$10-$15, free at Jiffy Lube

1 quart oil-$3

I thought it was unreasonable that my red car was salvaged, and it had a blown engine, with a bent rod, water in every cylinder, etc. Your car is in great shape, only a 1996, and doesn't have that many miles. Fix the goddamn gasket.

Are you going to pay for it? I dont have the time or knowledge how to do it. How know how much the parts are...its the labor thats a killer...im sorry. Id rather sell the car whole anyways.

Are you going to pay for it? I dont have the time or knowledge how to do it. How know how much the parts are...its the labor thats a killer...im sorry. Id rather sell the car whole anyways.

So sell the entire car, then have a junker that doesn't even compare? That is a really bad compromise IMO, you will never have a car as good as that one for less than $1000.

If I was within towing distance, I'd be on your doorstep with cash.

Actually..im sure in a year or so...ill have a car 100000x better than this one ever was. Thats why i dont wanna pour anythign else into this heap.

Im not here for a flame war. its also a time issue, which is one of my bigger things. Id much rather fix this car...i just dont have the time or the paitence for a car thats not that good anyways. Im pretty sick of w's...

So sell the entire car, then have a junker that doesn't even compare? That is a really bad compromise IMO, you will never have a car as good as that one for less than $1000.

If I was within towing distance, I'd be on your doorstep with cash.

it sucks that you don't have the time, because Aaron is right about a junker not even comparing to your Cutlass for $1K.

i know he is right...and i feel completly the same way. I have a little bit of time....but not tot he point where the cutlass can sit. That...and i have no clue where to start to get this done.

I actually was talking to the GF about buying something now. Ill keep the cutlass maybe...and try to do this. Then, sell the junker, or the cutlass to get more. I just dont know. Im very busy, and I have some money, but looking to get out of the house soon too.

Someone in VA is going to come help you. Even if it isn't someone on this board. A great thing I've learned about Fiero guys is that they are EXTREMELY helpful, and will go out of their way to help a fellow owner. And while you may not be a Fiero owner, I am, and you are considered an aquaintance becuz we are linked by W-bodies. I will make a post over there, there are hundreds of thousands of members, I have found 4 in Colorado Springs alone. I will let them know your situation, and such, and you'll get this car fixed. Good luck!

Yah, seriouslly I would do that

heres the thing. My dad is a GREAT, but busy mechanic. Hes quite busy with real work, and has poor organizaton otherwise. I personally know i may be able to go to another mecanic and have this work done for much less....its just more of a weird thing....1) because i have only used my dad as my mechanic, and 2) I would feel bad for my dad taking to another place.

I want to fix it myself...its much cheaper. Yah the car is falling apart anyways. The thing is, I cant have this turn into a money pit.

Thanks

Happy Easter

Jon

well its a 96' so it still has SOME value, and selling it on ebay for $500 is really looesing out.

i mean replace the gaskets for a few hundred then when you do goto sell the car you can use that as a selling point and get a little more out of it that way, i know i'd feel more comfortable buying a car that had new headgaskets on it.

honestly i'd atempt it myself, i'm not sure of your mechanical skill, but get a chiltions book and they usually will give the TQ specks and give you a very good rundown on how to do it. and we are here if you run into any problems.

it's definately a full days work, and point of advise don't try and break headbolts loose with a 3/8 15mm socket - you will break the socket.

OMFG, I thought I was the only one whose head bolts wouldn't break loose. I had a 1/2" driver breaker bar and they wouldn't go. Luckily we have a 4ft pipe that fits to the end of our breaker bar, and I needed it. Goddamn they were tight!

Well

Imma keep the car maybe.

I am buying a new car this week. Just got back from looking at it, from a friend at church. Its a 95 Grand Am GT sedan, with a 3100. Less miles, and car looks great. All for $2000....with a new radiator and battery. Its got a Plastic rad, which has a hole in it.

I had been looking for something else for a while...so this is it. While I am not sure about the culass (would still like to change em...but might just move on)...we will see. Im getting this other car for a steal...and pretty excited

jon