Lower car for cheap!

f_399

I want to lower my car for cheap!

Can I just get my springs cut? I heard to cut i coil will lower about 1.5 inch.

How bad will the ride be?

If I want to go back to stock can a go to a junkyard? Monte carlo springs same as lumina?

PEEPS FROM TX: Where can I get this done in the Dallas Fort Worth area

I don't think you can cut a W-body spring much. 1/4-coil tops, probably, and that won't lower it much at all.

The springs are tapered and all the coils are different diameters.

Most cars have cylindrically shaped springs while we have sorta conical shaped springs.

The SAFEST way to lower your car is just to get proper lowering springs. Cutting springs is not only dangerous and can hurt your car, it's for ricers. Don't lower yourself to their level 8)

Intrax

Eibach

Suspension Technique

:?: What's dangerous about cutting springs?

On a car with cylindrical shaped springs, you can cut them and the only ill effect is the ride will suffer as they'll get stiffer the more you cut.

Search - its been discussed recently. I put up a link for the suspension technique lowering springs from JC Whitney a while back. As for the rear, intrax lowering or flexaform monoleaf, or FFP coilovers. Ask somebody more knowledgeable on the rears about this.

You wouldn't need to cut the springs, just heat them up and they'll settle more. Still a bogus way to lower your car, but a lot quicker than cutting them. I saw a guy take a stock height Dakota down about 2.5-3.5 inches in about 10 minutes, rode like shit but was slammed I guess.

You wouldn't need to cut the springs, just heat them up and they'll settle more. Still a bogus way to lower your car, but a lot quicker than cutting them. I saw a guy take a stock height Dakota down about 2.5-3.5 inches in about 10 minutes, rode like shit but was slammed I guess.

DO NOT...i repeat DO NOT heat up your springs...that is VERY DANGEROUS...that will ruin the metal strength...that is deffinatly more dangerous than cutting the coils...but, like everyone else said...just get the lowering springs...

BTW: cutting coils is not a RICER thing...the hott rodders have been doing it for ages... :roll:

Wouldn't heating it up make for uneven lowering on all sides?

BTW: cutting coils is not a RICER thing...the hott rodders have been doing it for ages... :roll:

Cutting coils is a cheapass hack job that IS a ricer thing, so god save the hotrodders...

your car will bounce all over the place if you cut them. all the ricers you see with the whole car bouncing over bumps like they have hydraulics, thats cut springs

Wouldn't heating it up make for uneven lowering on all sides?

Yes, that's why heating is dangerous.

Cutting isn't dangerous, just not the best idea.