where is the coolent going?

Rushman04

hey, i have loved my grand prix from day one but i have run into a problem with the coolant. My motor is eating up coolant and its not a hose. My garge checked it out and they said it doesn't hold pressure. Its either the lower intake maniford gasket or a head gasket. The oil is not white so the oil doesn't seem to go into the oil. The performance of my car has gone down. Whats do you guys think?

Lower intake manifold gasket. I can almost guarantee it.

:withstupid: ...if you thought it was a head gasket you could prolly do a compression test on the cylinders...but, i'd put money on lower intake gasket...

I think that is the case with my car too....can't find where its going....but there is a leak and it don't hold pressure....I believed the intake was leaking toooo.....

So I will ask the next question....has anyone changed this gasket out?

.. my coolant is going somewhere also and i know the intake gaskets are good. No cold starts even on the coldest of days. Its a very slow disappearance. I never really have high preasure in my coolant lines b/c of the low therm settings. just every other month i have to add a half a gallon of coolant

thanks for the advice and i will be replacing the gasket tomorrow and i will let everyone know if it was. Iam going with everyone is saying because the head gasket would be worst.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: TROUBLE! Hey i got my car out today to go to school after letting it sit from yesterdays snow strom. The idle in the car is bad. It idles at 2 grand or if i stop at a light it will go down to less then 500. Is this because of the intake gasket? I cleaned out the throttle body when i came home and it still does it. The last time this happened it just needed a good cleaning.

Yep, if you got a leak somewhere on the intake side it can really fuck around with your idle. It can even throw an SES code. When I forgot to tighten the throttlebody (after changing the stat) air was getting in and it idled like crazy, ran real hot and throw and SES light came on. After tightening it back up it ran perfect after... :bash:

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: TROUBLE! Hey i got my car out today to go to school after letting it sit from yesterdays snow strom. The idle in the car is bad. It idles at 2 grand or if i stop at a light it will go down to less then 500. Is this because of the intake gasket? I cleaned out the throttle body when i came home and it still does it. The last time this happened it just needed a good cleaning.

Yep, again, more signs of an intake gasket in need of repair.