Suspension....Help

georgost

Hi there, I am new here, but I was glad to find such a web site. I have a 1993 4-door Olds Cutlass Supreme SL w/ the 3.4L. I am the original owner and it has about 125K miles. Anyway, the car has started to sag in the rear (on teh drivers side, and it makes a clunking sound every time there is suspension travel. On hard pot holes, it actually sounds like the strut is going to crash through teh top of the car.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Is it time to replace the leaf spring? Where is the best place to get one? I was actually thinking of replacing all the struts and teh leaf spring. I just want to have the car ride like it used to, and I need the car to last a little longer (not wanting to buy anything new right now).

Any help you can offer on what the problem might be, and what struts I should look at, where to purchase from and the cost woulds be great!

I would say that driver side strut is completely blown, as i had this happen on my car about a year ago also. Replace both struts at once id say, make sure you replace the mount plate also since its probably in bad shape. As far as sagging goes, id say do the struts first, then see if it sits any higher. If it doesnt youll need a new leaf in the back too...but no sense in getting it first if its not necessary.

btw there a nice thread with pics of strut removal on here in this section

As for which struts to do... Myself, along with many other members of this and other boards have had GOOD luck with the KYB GR-2 struts... get them from http://www.tirerack.com... Might as well do all of them as far as I'm concerned... fronts are only $35 each and if you know somebody with the tool, they're REALLY easy to change. The GR-2's in general are firm but not harsh... always. They will raise the rear of your car... raised mine an inch or so (as with any gas-charged damper)... it was sagging a bit and now looks normal. I did them all around... N-I-C-E!!!

Mike

You can get a set of polyurethane rear leafspring pads to help bring the rearend back up. The stock spring has rubber pads which can rot apart over time and even be completely gone. The Moog springpads are solid and will not rot. About $20 at a local parts store.

Federal Mogul: #K6544