Brake Hose Replacement

jdeday

I need a few pointers at replacing the rear brake hoses on my 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. I have never done a brake hose, but I have replaced the calipers and pads, I know how to remove the hose from the caliper, but I don't understand how to remove the hose from the brake line.

Are these the steps I should take?

1. Remove the hose from the caliper

2. Place an open ended wrench on the nut that is attached to the steel brake line.

3. Place an open ended wrench on the nut on the hose and rotate the hose counter clockwise.

4. Remove clip

5. Reinstall using the reverse method listed above

Am I correct in saying that the nut on the steel line does not rotate?

Help please.

Thanks.

Jeff

hose.jpg

Wow, I just went through that crap yesterday......Had the left rear blow when i was doin suspension work on it.......it was nice that the car was already up on jacks and everything...

.but it happened like 30 minutes before the parts store closed......and i live 40 minutes away from the.......well, rush-hour traffic plays a big part in that....so i was driving 60 in 35's just to get there.......aaahhhhgggg.

o btw, yes.......unscrew the bracket (where rubber and steel lines meet) from the car....(i think 14mm?)

then use a 12 mm wrench and clamp a vise grip on the clamp and twist.......it is hard but it should come loose.....i don't know what side u are workin on...but remember Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey.

THen its pretty much self explananatory fromt there on.....

Just remember to bleed the lines.

Hello,

You didn't mention if there was rust in the area. They originally started as a pipe (or tube) and a nut to seal it...of course, being tight, and over time, the two become one. I'm sure with lots of love, they could be separated, but it might be a fight.

While slightly related, I replaced the pipe to your connector...my installation was two pieces...there are pictures so it may provide some insight. Good luck.

http://members.aol.com/regal231/lines.htm

I'm working on the drivers side, I should unscrew the nut on the steel side and use a vise grip on the hose side? I just don't want to destroy the steel brake line.

Thanks for your help.

I'm working on the drivers side, I should unscrew the nut on the steel side and use a vise grip on the hose side? I just don't want to destroy the steel brake line.

Thanks for your help.

First unbolt the mount.....where the steel line and rubber line meet....(14mm bolt?)

Yes, 12mm wrech in right hand and clamp the vise grip on the mount w/ left hand and twist down with the right and up with the left......

Yea me and my dad ran intot he same problem yesterday while doing my brake job. My dad finally gave up and said he waould pay to have it taken in bewcasue the metal line was twisting so much when he tried to loosen it it was on the verge of breaking