Changed my mind again, no more 400hp DOHC for me

Aaron

I was replying to the comment on superchargers and turbos

You can be honest here, you were talking about me...lol

I still don't know, but I drew up the LIM, and I wish I could scan it in, it looks pretty sweet. It is a really short runner design, the actual runners are only about 1" long fromt he head to the plenum, and they are big too. This all adds up to instant boosting and skyhigh flow.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• GP1138

• 5speedz34

• TGPilot

If you think turbo whistle isn't sexy, you need to ride in my S2000. The Monte only has wastegate, exhaust, and BOV noise, no real turbo sound. The S2000 literally sounds like a jet engine. The whoosh from the ported shroud is incredible. PFI has a GT35R with a T4 exhaust housing and ported shroud sitting in their display case... it's PERFECT for a 3.4. There are some dyno graphs of this turbo on a Maxima engine on http://www.maxima.org It's awesome. One day, this turbo will be mine. As much top end potential as a 60-1, but with the bottom end of a T3 turbo...

The whipples are an awesome supercharger. If I was to run a supercharger, that is what I would use. The 2300 should be plenty. The $500 difference is enough to pay for a 3 bar MAP, WBO2, and still have enough money left over to buy a couple of cases of beer! :twisted:

Tim

mmmmmmmm, beer, mmmmmmmmmm. You have to get it tho, but I pay you 110%!!!

lol

I LOVE turbo whistle. But I also love blower whine. I just think the whipple charger will give me as much high end as 90% of centrifugal superchargers and 40% of turbos, but with LS1-like torque below 3,000rpm. And as much as I do like turbo surge, it is also very nice to drive a car that makes a lot of low end torque. I like turbos no doubt, but they are useless without an intercooler. Even tho they are more efficient, their disharge temperatures are really high, do to the 4th additional heating element (exhaust). So I would need to run an intercooler, and air/air systems don't work in Fieros. But at this point I don't have the money for a air/water system, and the supercharger doesn't need one at all to start out with. In fact, its discharge temps will still be lower than that of a turbo with an air/air intercooler.

But I appreciate your advice, and I bet a truly built DOHC with that turbo would be a blast to drive.

Little bit of an update. In an attempt to find which one is right for me, I did some more with numbers.

A L67 will start to ping at when dishcharge temps reach about 270*. With an M90 this comes at 10psi, with a 2300AX it comes at 13psi. Let's assume a 3.4L will ping with the same temps. Although we have a centrally located spark plug, which makes combustion and detonation protection much better and more efficient, we also have much more boost actually going into the cylinder. So let's say we will ping at 270* on a factory computer and ignition, neither of which I will have. Then the 3.4L DOHC will ping at about 15psi with the 2300AX, and at about 17psi with the 3300AX. This is amazing in itself, at the same boost levels as a 2300AX L67, the air going inot our motor will be much cooler than that of the L67. And 10*F typically equals about 15hp on the discahrge side of a power adder.

So with the 3300 running 12psi, and the 2300 running 12, we'd see about a 20*F temp difference. This coupled with the lower hp draw of the 3300 means about 35hp more for the 3300. IMO, this is worth $500. I can now run more boost without ping, and an intercooler would only help things out even more. So I think I will be looking for a 3300AX blower. My max boost limits will be set by engine strength, my computer and ignition setup will be able to handle as much as 28psi without detonation. So the next area of failure will be rods and the crank. For the rods, we already have the options narrowed down to 2. The first was the original, forged titanium connecting rods. Btut at $2000-$2500/set, they are not cheap. But on a stock 2003 Z06, the car picked up 86rwhp with these rods alone. And they are still stronger than forged steel H-beem. They will also greatly reduce the stress on the crankshaft. The second option is forged steel H or I beam rods from Eagle. At about $400-$500/set, they are much cheaper. This would allow me to investigate stroker options with the new crank, but I think the tit rod gains will be far superior to that of the stroker crank. The crank will be forged steel by Eagle, and should run about $700 custom built.

So looking like fun, I just ordered "Performance supercharging" and "4-stroke Performance Tuning" books, we shall see how much useful info these have.

The decision has been made, and here are the specs I'll be using, and some info. Expect to see this begin this summertime, and end in about a year. The long build time will be becuz this motor is not going to be cheap at all, but we should realistically see 500-600hp on 14psi. But I am expecting to get an internship in the next 2 weeks, and it pays well, and will be a great addition to my resume.

-3.4L DOHC V6, bored .060 over, and stroked (Amount undetermined, about 1/4")

-Forged steel stroker crank, with block machined

-Forged titanium connecting rods

-Forged aluminum pistons, 8.5:1 c/r

-Fully P&P heads, with custom valves, stock springs, new 48g lifters

-Stock cams for now, precisely advanced/retarded on dyno

-Whipple 3300 Axial-inlet supercharger, copper air/water intercooler, 8psi and 14psi, 2" cog belt drive

-Eliminate power steering, AC

-Electric water pump

-Custom sheetmetal lower intake, with 2" runners...lol

-LS1 BBK 80mm throttle body

-Tuned Equal Length ehaders, 1 7/8" primaries by 34" length, true dual 2.5" exhaust

-Custom integrated fuel/ignition management system

The motor should be about $10 grand if we are lucky, with good hookups, and will sooner or later find its way into a Fiero, with a 282, Spec clutch, and LSD until it makes ground beef out of Getrag, when we convert it to a 284 until it makes more getrag ground beef, when we convert it to a custom-built 4T65e, 3500rpm stall. The undecided parts as of now include the oiling system, we are throwing around a dry sump idea to deal with acceleration G-forces, valves/springs (originally were going to be hollow, but not now), and the computer brand. I'm sure I forgot some stuff, but expect pics starting this summer.

Well from people buying my cars :wink:

And think about this. I have no expenses, except for dinner once a week and beer once a week. And I work 25 hours a week, and get paid $7.50 an hour. This adds up fast, and lets my mind run wild. And since losing my driver's license, it seems my wallet stacks up fast with no gas to pay for, and no insurance. And my car was paid for about 2 years ago, and my dad bought the red car since it is his. So I get to sit around school computers and let my mind run wild. And being single at the moment, all I have to pay for is condoms, and a dinner or two on th emeal plan :wink:

I make 7.80 and around 30 hours a week, live at home, and the car is insured under my parents so I don't have to pay a whole lotta insurance, mostly gas. Soo I still don't see how you can make all that much money. Oh well that's what credit cards are for, right? :lol:

No credit cards here. It doesn't take a lot of money to wish, dream, and plan. I know how much money I'll have come this summer, and I know how it will be spent. So we will see, hopefully I don't encoutner too many drawbacks and such.

• 2 months later...

Hey Aaron long time no talk.

I'm thinking the AX3300 is a little big for what you are trying to do. These blowers are used on big block engines in boats. Whipple doesn't even use a AX3300 blower on LS1 Trucks with thier kits. Aussies use them on low CC ls1s and they work quite nicely. I'd think you be better sticking with a AX2300, and work on a sweet intercooler. Also 1 7/8 Primary headers are way to big also, i dont think you'll be pushing quite that much air, but i guess planning for the future is always good.

Hit me up on AIM sometime

Hey Aaron long time no talk.

I'm thinking the AX3300 is a little big for what you are trying to do. These blowers are used on big block engines in boats. Whipple doesn't even use a AX3300 blower on LS1 Trucks with thier kits. Aussies use them on low CC ls1s and they work quite nicely. I'd think you be better sticking with a AX2300, and work on a sweet intercooler. Also 1 7/8 Primary headers are way to big also, i dont think you'll be pushing quite that much air, but i guess planning for the future is always good.

Hit me up on AIM sometime

No offense, but I kinda know what I'm doing.

The Whipple 3300AX is a massive blower, no doubt. It is way oversized on the 3.4. But with superchargers, oversize doesn't hurt, in fact it helps. The 3300 requires a tad less power to turn, os slightly more efficient, but the biggest thing is even with a 5*C higher inlet, its discharge is nearly 20*C cooler than the 2300. So the only drawbacks to the 3300 are price, and physical size. A 2300 is actually undersized, as the 3.4's boost line totally goes to the right side of the blowers adiabatic efficiency peak. In fact, the 3.8 is even slightly off, but for a 3.8, the 2300 is perfect, but the 3.4 DOHC requires a bigger blower than the 3.8.

And 1 7/8" primaries are not too big for a 450hp, 7000rpm blown DOHC. In fact, they might be ont he small side. Contrary to what TOG lieks to think, blown engines need big headers. You have so much more ehxaust to get out. All N/A, I will be using 1 3/4" primaries now, btu this is also at 8000rpm.

Well sorry I can't devote my life to making throttle bodies, but somewhere between 19 credit hours, a 3.7 GPA, and working 20 hours a week I find time to do something, and all you can do is call bullshit. Asshole. And fyi, I need a motor to put them on, so why the fuck should I build them, since they are for a car I don't even have yet, and a motor I got yesterday? From my experience, the intake goes on after the engine swap :roll:

Guest TurboSedan
and all you can do is call bullshit. Asshole.

no need for the name calling Aaron. he wasn't calling BS, he wants to see pics like many of us do.

have a nice vacation :)

and all you can do is call bullshit. Asshole.

no need for the name calling Aaron. he wasn't calling BS, he wants to see pics like many of us do.

have a nice vacation :)

:smilielol:

Guest TurboSedan

Aaron will be out of the Courthouse in 2.5 days....just in time to hear all of his excuses as to why his Z34 didn't reach 250whp on the May 15th dyno day! :lol:

i sure hope he can prove me wrong :)