White wheels for white Cutlass Supreme?

DTakas

I just got a 96 white Cutlass Supreme SL It has the factory five spoke alloy wheels. I was thinking about painting that black panel the reverse lights are in white and painting the headlight bezels white. If I do that I think white rims would look good on the car too. Is there a way to paint the factory wheels so that the paint will really hold up to the kind of abuse wheels take? I didn't think painting the factory wheels was really gonna hold up so I was thinking about getting a pair of white factory rims from a Monte Carlo Z-34 They're both 16X6-1/2 both the same bolt pattern, offset is the only thing that might screw me. Any Suggestions? Is there a good market to get rid of my original rims if I buy another set and what are the factory’s worth? Thanks Guys.

I think the Olds 5-stars looks better than the painted Monte wheels.

Powdercoat should hold up pretty well, although I think Dupont Imron urethane paint should hold up well if it's baked and cured.

I don't think the Monte wheel offset will be a problem if you're talking about 95-99 and not the 00+.

Reverse light panel painted white should look good, but I think headlight bezels painted white would look bad. Someone here had a red Cutlass with the headlight bezels painted red, and I thought it looked like ass, like it had some kind of eye disease.

I don't know. . . I paintshopped a picture to see what the wheels would look like on a white Cutlass Supreme and honestly I kind of like the Monte wheels. (I'd post it if I could figure out how) I would have to take the Chevy bowties off the center caps. I think most of the reason I like it, is because it's different. Would the original set of wheels (which are in excellent condition) bring $300?

I don't think you could actually paint your black reverse panel a different color because of the emblem in the middle being recessed. That white one is factory, i do believe

Any car that came with a 3.4 will have the body colored reverse light panel, so you might check out junk yards first. As previously mentioned the Olds logo in the center is under clear plastic which could make painting a bit tricky.

Actually, that reverse panel can be painted, as mine is. Mine was black, but I had a bodyshop do it professionally. You could never tell that its not factory that way. BTW, that piece is for sale since I totalled the Cutty.

Drew.

Anyone have a rough estimate of what powder coating a rim costs? I was thinking about doing mine white and using some gold pin striping accents when I do my painting project later this summer. I'm going for the 72' HO look, and I think I could make the 5 stars look like the old rally style rims from past Cutlass'.

Anyone have a rough estimate of what powder coating a rim costs?

I checked around, http://www.col-rand.com/id55.htm had this listed.

A Steel Rally wheel done in a high gloss, standard color is $60.00. Add $25.00 for Argent Silver with a second coat of High Gloss Clear. Again, any blasting is extra and is charged at a rate of $40.00/hour, which includes materials.

I don't know if that's high or low but that's someone's price hope that helps. BTW I think the H/O look would be good. My grandfather has a '73 H/O and my dad has a '69 H/O. I'm a big fan.

I just got a 96 white Cutlass Supreme SL...I think white rims would look good on the car...I was thinking about getting a pair of white factory rims from a Monte Carlo Z-34 They're both 16X6-1/2 both the same bolt pattern, offset is the only thing that might screw me...

I like white wheels on a white car too. Like said, the '95-'99 Monte Carlo (and '95-'01 Lumina) wheels are a direct bolt-on. I kinda wanted to see what this combo looked like so, I did a quick cut & paste:

95CutlassMonteWheels1.jpg

I just got a 96 white Cutlass Supreme SL...I think white rims would look good on the car...I was thinking about getting a pair of white factory rims from a Monte Carlo Z-34 They're both 16X6-1/2 both the same bolt pattern, offset is the only thing that might screw me...

I like white wheels on a white car too. Like said, the '95-'99 Monte Carlo (and '95-'01 Lumina) wheels are a direct bolt-on. I kinda wanted to see what this combo looked like so, I did a quick cut & paste:

95CutlassMonteWheels1.jpg

i think that looks a lil goofy...the cutty wheels would prolly look better...maybe paint them white?... :?

I honestly don't like the Monte wheels at all for some reason. They remind me of Cavalier wheels or something :think:. I think Eagles look the best if you got some money, I also wonder how GP 5-spoke would look.... or what about crosslace (I don't think that's ever been done on a Cutty!)

I like the painted rear white, but the front I like stock (black). just a little too much white for my taste.